Mimmo?

A place for businesses to post advertisements selling the raw materiasls for pipe making. (Briar, stems, rod stock, exotic woods, etc.)
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Mimmo?

Post by staffwalker »

I would appreciate any helpful information anyone is willing to give on ordering from Mimmo. I am about to make my first attempt at a order from him, somewhere around 50 to 80 blocks. What can I expect?

I want plateau blocks with good to excellent grain with the possibility of getting some nice straight grain pipes. I want to make medium to large pipes (2-2 1/2 inch tall strummels with overall length of pipes in the range of 5 1/2-6 1/2. So far I have used medium to large plataeu blocks from about six different sources and in most cases medium appears to work good for me. Are his block sizes about the same as most other folks? How do the sizes compare with Andrea at Pipe Emp? Her small are equal to most other medium sized I have used from elsewhere.

I'm pleading for help here. I can't afford to order a bunch of blocks only to find I wasted my funds on oversize blocks which I didn't need or on blocks to small for my use.

Thanks, bob gilbert
marks

Post by marks »

I've never used Mimmo's wood, but Todd Johnson apparently buys a lot from Mimmo. You may want to email Todd to see if he has any insights. You can find Todd by Goggling his name plus the word pipes.
Pharaohfitz

Mimmo briar

Post by Pharaohfitz »

I emailed Mimmo and asked for a price list which he sent in a few days. I placed an order with him and picked it up at Chicago. Mimmo wanted to go over each piece so that I understood the grading and was happy with the purchase. He will also ship to the US. The wood is fantastic and he has a wide variety of grades, sizes and cuts to take care of your needs.

All the best,
Scott