Jaws For Holding Briar in Your Chuck!

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.
caskwith

Re: Jaws For Holding Briar in Your Chuck!

Post by caskwith »

Steve so sorry to hear of your loss. You family is like mine, they seem to choose the same time to go. Take care my friend and remember to allow time for yourself to take stock of things, being the hero and being there for people is all well can good but even hero's need help and time too.

C
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

My thoughts are with you, Sorry to hear all this has happened. John.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Sorry to hear about your losses, Steve. A few years back I lost my Grandfather, sister-in-law, and Uncle all in about the same span.

Take time to reflect on all the good things they brought to your life. I hope you find peace.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

I thank you all for your well wishes. I posted the message only to explain why I was slow in filling recent orders. I didn't do so for any other reason.

Things are ok and good here......I will get caught up as soon as I can on the orders.

But thanks again for the well wishes.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Well, finally life is settling down. Even had time to smoke a decent pipe or two again.

I got back in the shop and made a couple sets of jaws and tomorrow I'll pick up the material to make 5 more sets. If you asked about a set and I haven't been in touch with you in a while please let me know and I'll get right back with you.

Thanks again for all the well wishes and also for the patience while I had things to take care of.

You can reach me here or thru a new email address I have. stevegreathouse22@gmail.com

Thanks again my friends.
Last edited by smokindawg on Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

I have the material for 5 more sets and wanted to let everyone know that I could make jaws for more than just the one way or Nova chuck.

Again, If I've talked to you about a set of jaws just let me know and I'll get you a set made pronto.
2combs

Post by 2combs »

Did you ever determine if these will fit the PSI Barracuda 2? Thanks
Tu Combs
RHOX Pipes
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I have a set made by steve that fit my barracuda 2. He just needs the measurements.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Yep, I can make them to fit just about any of the wood chucks like the Nova. I have made sets to fit the barracuda. In fact just finished a set and put it in the mail.

I do have a spare set ready that will fit a Nova or Oneway chuck but none made for the barracuda. I'll be gone for a couple weeks and won't be able to make anymore until I get back home. But I can then get back to work and make them for anyone may want a set.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

The cost of materials has gone up just a bit so I've changed pricing accordingly. The price is now $80 total. Shipping included.
jmoss

Post by jmoss »

Hello Steve these are my jaws :)
Attachments
IMG_1606.jpg
IMG_1606.jpg (27.19 KiB) Viewed 8658 times
IMG_1602.jpg
IMG_1602.jpg (33.43 KiB) Viewed 8658 times
IMG_1601.jpg
IMG_1601.jpg (37.48 KiB) Viewed 8658 times
GregoL

Post by GregoL »

Can you make something that would fit a metal lathes chuck? Similar to the ones shown above? I have a wood lathe but it's an older Craftsman that only has a morse taper center on it and no chuck. Before I spend too much money on a chuck for the Craftsman, if i can even find one, I figured I would see if you can make a set for the metal lathe. I have a Grizzly lathe mill combo setup but forget the model number.
Thanks,
Greg
I do, so that I may learn the wrong way to do things
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

smokindawg wrote:The cost of materials has gone up just a bit so I've changed pricing accordingly. The price is now $80 total. Shipping included.

$80 is a steal. This is a good thing you are doing smokindawg.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Jmoss and GregoL, I don't make a set to fit the metal lathe type chucks, or jaws like yours Jmoss. Sorry about that.

But GregoL, depending on which lathe you have and how the chuck attaches, Grizzly may have a wood lathe chuck something like the Nova to fit. I use a wood lathe chuck from them on my Jet 9x20 with a set of my jaws to do my drilling, when I do any, and it works great. Which model Combo do you have?

But I also have one of the grizzly combo lathes and the chuck on it doesn't screw onto a threaded spindle so they don't carry a wood chuck with that attachment type. May be the same type you have, but check it out and let me know.
baiguai

Post by baiguai »

I got jaws like this they are awesome! My only feedback is - would be nice to have grip pattern on the other side too so you could turn em around for small blocks - like pen blanks, stem material etc.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Never thought about that baiguai. But probably better than cutting teeth for grip would be to go up the center with a cutter and this would work to center smaller materials. Would work good for round materials.

I'm making myself a new set and may play with it a bit to see what I can come up with.
2combs

Post by 2combs »

I got a set of jaws from Steve for my Barracuda 2 chuck. They work great, I highly recommend them. Thanks again Steve!

Tu Combs
RHOX Pipes
Briar Boy

Post by Briar Boy »

Just wanted to say how happy I am with my new chuck jaws that Steve made to fit my Barracuda 2 chuck, such a joy to be able to grip odd shaped blocks with ease compared to struggling with jars made for round stock. I have made a couple pipes with them now and would definitely say they are a great value, thanks Steve you have made pipe making a little easier...
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Adaptors are cheap and allow you to switch back and forth from wood to metal lathes, just a thought!! Penn State Industries.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Your right pipedreamer. I actually use a wood lathe chuck from Grizzly tools on my Jet 920. Works great and they have a few different spindle thread sizes available.

The jaws on these chucks have the same bolt pattern as a nova or oneway chuck but use a smaller screw size to hold them on. I actually drilled and tapped two of the jaws on my grizzly chuck to the bigger screw size of the others as I don't use the jaws that came with the chuck.