Jaws For Holding Briar in Your Chuck!

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

There has been a lot of talk lately about what type of jaws people are using to hold a briar block in their chuck so that they can do their drilling.

I, as well as a buddy have been using a set of jaws like these for about 3 years. They work well and hold a block very well. (Especially when squared well)

They are made from 1"x2" solid aluminum block and then cut on my mill, drilled for mounting and then I cut teeth in them so that a block won't slip when drilling.

On the chuck I'm using, they will open to a minimum of 1 1/4" and a maximum of 3" wide. They also have a jaw depth of just a bit over 1 1/2" and the jaw is 1" wide with cross cut no-slip teeth.

With these jaws, a perfectly aligned drilling job on a block is very easy. You just draw the lines where you want your airway and chamber, then draw another line 1/2" above it and then align the block so that the top line is even with the top of the jaw and your drilling will be spot on. I've drilled many using such jaws and not had one drill off yet. (Your results May Vary :) )

I thought I'd offer them up for sale here and see if there is any interest.

The ones shown are installed on a chuck that I bought from Grizzly tools and mounted on my Jet 9x20. They will also fit both Nova and oneway chucks. I know there are other chucks out there that have a variant on the bolt pattern so can custom make them to fit your chuck if you can send me a jaw and a hold down bolt, so that I will know which thread your using.

If your interested in discussing a set of these jaws, or have any questions feel free to contact me. Expect about a week delivery time if you do order a set. (Depending on how much interest there is.)

Price, $80 which includes shipping in the U.S.

Last edited by smokindawg on Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
teevee

Re: Jaws For Holding Briar in Your Chuck!

Post by teevee »

just left you a pm

teevee
potholer

Post by potholer »

just pm'ed you
regards
dave
"Omne ignotum pro magnifico" - everything becomes common place by explanation :- sherlock holmes
afranks

Post by afranks »

pm sent.

Thanks,

Al
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Answered! 8)
giannilibrizzi

Post by giannilibrizzi »

Pm sent....
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

That is a really good price.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

After being out of the jaw making business for a little while I'm back to making them. I've also improved the design a bit. They are beefier and the inner bolt is now counter sunk as well.

I now have a bigger and better mill and even added a Digital Read Out which makes the mill much better.

So, if we talked about my making you a set and you still need them give me a holler. The price with the newer design will be $70 plus actual shipping.
mredmond
Site Supporter

Post by mredmond »

I've been using a set of Steve's jaws for a little while now, and I recommend them. For the price, they are a really excellent option. I was using a set of Nova tower jaws, and I find Steve's jaws are easier to use, grip better, and the way they mount allows me to chuck substantially larger blocks than the tower jaws did. I found myself having issues with misaligned airways with the tower jaws and I haven't had that problem once, so far, using Steve's jaws. For any of you guys or gals looking for an affordable, better than stock jaw setup, talk to Steve.

Micah
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

I'm not sure what happened lately here but I haven't been able to get on the site for quite some time. I've also been out of town all summer and only home sporadically so am behind in so many things, including this venture.

I know that there were several people I have been in touch with lately that wanted a set of jaws made. I however don't see any of the messages in my in box where we were in contact with each other. I have no idea who it was I was talking too, so need your help getting back to me.

I have the materials and am ready to make these sets. If those people that were in contact with me would get back with me I'd appreciate it. I didn't keep track of names as I thought I had them in my PM's so no problem.

You can send me a message in my email and that will keep lost PM's from happening again.

If you all would just sent me that email message letting me know who you are, what type chuck you have and any other info you want me to know, I'd appreciate it.

My email is: stevegreathouse22@gmail.com Send me a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I possibly can.
Last edited by smokindawg on Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

I know I haven't been the most punctual at filling orders for my jaws. But with the job/travel causing long times away from home and throw the wife's medical problems on top of that, well just let me say, I've been lax.

So with that in mind, I just worked up 3 sets of the jaws and only have 2 of those sets sold. Thought it better if I just offered them up as I make them. Not so say that I won't still make them for someone that may have a chuck with a different bolt pattern than the Oneway. (Which is what these jaws fit)

They will also fit the wood lathe chuck that Grizzly sells if you drill and tap the holes in the chuck to the correct size. (I've done this to my own as well as for someone else that bought the same chuck.

I forget the other name brand chuck that has the same bolt pattern as the oneway.

So if anyone wants this last set of jaws, let me know.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Third set of jaws is sold, but I am going to get some more material and make a couple more sets.

Anyone interested, just let me know.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

I just finished three more sets of jaws. One set fits a different chuck so I had to change the bolt pattern. (This one is sold) Then I made up a couple today that fit the oneway chuck. (One set sold)

Instead of having just the straight cuts across the jaw I've been doing a cross hatch on the jaws now. Don't know if it holds any better or not, but it looks like it would be stronger holding.

I have one set not spoken for yet, so if anyone needs it.
dreadroberts

Post by dreadroberts »

I have a Nova G3 and would be interested in getting a set from you if you can make to fit it. PM me details on pricing and payment.
-Mat
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

I bought a set and they really hold well and are well worth the price. Great stuff!
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

I just got mine a few weeks ago and have drilled 4 stummels so far. They work great, and for the price, it doesn't get any better than this. Thanks again Steve. :thumbsup:
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
dreadroberts

Post by dreadroberts »

I just got mine and I really like them. Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
-Mat
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Thanks Mat. Glad they arrived and your happy.
Briar Boy

Post by Briar Boy »

I have a Barracuda 2 chuck, will these jaws fit it?
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Briar Boy wrote:I have a Barracuda 2 chuck, will these jaws fit it?
Truthfully, I don't remember for sure but I'll send you a PM. If they won't fit the way I'm making these, I can change the hole pattern for mounting so that a set will fit your chuck.