Jaws For Holding Briar in Your Chuck!

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Re: Jaws For Holding Briar in Your Chuck!

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I have a barracuda 2 as well and would like a set if you have the time.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

I came back from vacation today and the jaws were in the mail. They mounted perfectly to my chuck and give me a 1.1" to 3.1" grip range on briar blocks. Thanks so much steve! In the picture you can see the waste of the aluminum stuck to the peaks of the serrations. I haven't cleaned them off yet, but I assume they wont last past the first 2 blocks. considering hitting them with a wire wheel to knock them back.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

I did hit them with a wire wheel but I don't have the best setup for that. But that being said, the little pieces won't stay long once you make a pipe or two. As you may notice, the jaw holding area looks a bit different than in the original set. I made that change a while back due to someone worrying about the original not holding well.

I as well as a buddy have been using the original design for a few years with no blocks slipping, but I think the new design probably holds even better.

Glad they arrived and your ready to drill with them.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

How exciting! Mine should be in the box when I get home from training!

Sent from my banana phone.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

I actually took an old crappy file and hit each jaw for about 30 seconds. knocked all the shrapnel off and they look great.
DeflictedPipes

Post by DeflictedPipes »

My set was pretty clean. He must like me better. :lol:
Mike
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Dang surely these and a new 12'x20'greenhouse are sitting at the house right now.

sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I just made my first couple of stummels with the tower jaws. They work wonderfully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Home from vacation/training found these little beauties in the mailbox. Thanks smokingdawg, can't wait to try them out!

seamonster

Post by seamonster »

those look really sweet... will be interested to hear how they work... my Dad just have me his old little lathe.... need some TEETH

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Jeremy, smokingdawg is the maker of these jaws. I'm pretty sure he posted his email earlier in this thread. If not you could PM him with your chuck type. Price is great.

E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Hey smokingdawg I finally, got back into the shop. Stupid day jobs getting the way. They are great thanks for getting them to me so quick.

smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Eric, the jaws grip really well and if I have a pipe I'm making with a taller bowl I just move the block outward in the jaws when I do my drilling. Then I can turn more of the bowl before moving onto hand shaping with the sanding disc.

I'm glad they arrived and your happy with them. I've been using mine for several years when I get shop time and feel like making a pipe. They work well, grip well and best thing, I can make more if I need too. :)
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Steve, yeah they sure do. The only problem is my hands are still pretty dumb. So I chucked it up pretty deep. I will definitely be adjusting my depth on the next block. I think they are great. Hope you are well.

smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

A little tip on these........... The jaws are 1" material. So I mark on my block where I want my bore and airway drilled using a small rule that is 1/2" thick. So I mark two lines following both sides of the rule. That way when I chuck up the block, all I have to do is make the line I drew match the top of the jaw and I have dead on drilling.

I always drill the airway and mortise first then the chamber. I've been getting dead on drilling in every block with no problem.
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Steve, I had seen the 1/2" note in an early post. Forgot it on this one. But, will be using that in the future. I always do mortise first. I knocked this out of line after drilling so figure did finish on the wheel.

smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Well, I've been busy making these for several people the last few weeks. Even made and sent a pair for a completely different chuck to the UK. I'm sending out the last order today. It's a nice day and I'm caught up so it's time to ride the bike some........ Woooooooo Hooooooooo!

If anyone else is interested in having a set of these made feel free to contact me with any questions.
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Right on Steve, enjoy some wind in your face, the breeze on your knees.

smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

I know that I have some jaws on order and I meant to get them made and sent by now but it's been a rough few weeks. Lost a sister in law in WV (Had to take the wife out) on Friday May 30th and then got back just in time to head to my parents house as my dad was bad. Lost him Sunday the 8th and I'm still at my mom's getting his affairs somewhat in order and helping around the place. (Of course lost my brother in January. It's been a rough half year so far.

Sorry that I got behind........ Oh and also, my email is screwed so I'm trying to get another set up. Until then, if you have a set of the jaws on order with me, please PM me here and refresh my memory.

I'll be heading home probably Wednesday and then back here Saturday or Sunday. I'll try to get caught up with the orders while I'm home.

Again, if you are waiting on a set of jaws, please PM me here. I think I know who I owe a set too, but want to make sure.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Very sorry to hear of all your family losses. I lost my daughter a year ago the end of this month. It's rough, but try to move forward.
Chas.