2009-2010 Pipe In The Hat trade

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.

Theme of this year's pipe in the hat?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:11 pm

Classic Catalog Billiard
19%
Nosewarmer
33%
Plateaux
5%
Aquatic
5%
Horror
5%
Multitexture
14%
Oriental
No votes
Tolkien
19%

Total votes: 21

KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: 2009-2010 Pipe In The Hat trade

Post by KurtHuhn »

Ready or not, here's the list...
  • mrhydepipes.com
    Vermont Freehand
    SimeonTurner
    TimGeorge
    T3pipes
    Daniel
    buster
    mredmond
    Briarfox
    smokindawg
    Charl
    pennyscott
    FredS
    staffwalker
    Kurt Huhn
    BeatusLiebowitz
    Nick
    circularthoughts
    pierredekat
    OldnGrey
    kkendall

Everyone send to the person below you. The person at the bottom will send to the person at the top. Send each other a PM to get mailing address etc.

Keep in mind that you are shipping your pipe on your dime, and in return you're getting a pipe shipped to you free of charge.

If you have any questions, post here. If you are having trouble getting in contact with your recipient or sender, contact me directly so that we can get the problem resolved.

And, the most important part of this - be sure to send your pipe maker a review of the pipe you receive. The goal of this is to learn and grow, so be honest in your evaluation. Pipemakers, receive the advice in the spirit it was given, and view it as an opportunity to improve your skills.

If a pic of your pipe hasn't been posted, please remember to do so for folks to see. If you need hosting space, let me know I'll store them here.

Thanks everyone!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

SimeonTurner wrote:He's having the drawing verified by the DavisJohnson accounting house. Those guys are from the south though, so it takes them a while to count up all the submissions and sort them properly (they keep running out of fingers and losing count).
:twisted:
+1 That gave me a good laugh!

Lets get a list up, my checking of this post every 15 minutes has built up the anticipation!
Chris Houser
-Houser Handmade-

http://www.houserhandmadepipes.com/
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Wonder if BriarFox would send me that Old Boy with the pipe, it looks just like the one I had that ran away from home..... LOL
Pipe Maker in the Making!
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

Well looks like i was a tad slow on my last post!

Only way you will get that old boy is if you pry it from my cold dead hands!!!!!! But the pipes is yours =P

I think we need to get some more pipe photos up! Lots on that list haven't posted them.

Mredmond, i look forward to receiving your pipe! It's purdy.
Last edited by Briarfox on Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Houser
-Houser Handmade-

smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Briarfox wrote:Only way you will get that old boy is if you pry it from my cold dead hands!!!!!!
I can wait Chris..................... :lol:
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

If I gave you the Old Boy what would I use in all my pipe photos? :wink:
Chris Houser
-Houser Handmade-

mredmond
Site Supporter

Post by mredmond »

Thanks Chris! I'm sure once you look at it up close you will be able to tell I'm pretty new at this. It was lots of fun though. I'll PM you later on tonight...gotta run now.

- Micah
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Briarfox wrote:If I gave you the Old Boy what would I use in all my pipe photos? :wink:
Your pipes? :idea:
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Ok, I guess I need to post pics of the pipe that I made. I know it's far from perfect, but I'm learning.

pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Guys, first off, I am so sorry. I have really fallen out of the loop lately.

I had almost nothing going on in November and December. And then, in the first week of January, no less than six customers contacted me and placed orders.

I don't know, phases of the moon or something.

So I have been running around like a chicken with his head cut off ever since, and unfortunately, my time on the internet has dropped down to almost zero.

Am I totally FUBAR on the PITH? Do I have to crawl off with my tail between my legs, or can I salvage this thing?

Can I make a pipe this week and send it off? Or does it need to be finished before the deadline?

If that's the case, I do have a variety of completed pipes that I could send, including a few smaller ones in the 5-inch (125 mm) range, but sadly no true "nosewarmers".

Please advise.
OldnGrey

Post by OldnGrey »

WHAT???? :oops: YOU DON'T HAVE MY PIPE????

LOL Just kidding. I would gladly wait for one of your pipes. So please go ahead and make it when you have the time. I am sure it will be well worth it.

Craig Houser
Oldngrey
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

OldnGrey wrote:WHAT???? :oops: YOU DON'T HAVE MY PIPE????

LOL Just kidding. I would gladly wait for one of your pipes. So please go ahead and make it when you have the time. I am sure it will be well worth it.

Craig Houser
Oldngrey
Awesome, thanks so much, Craig. I have never made a nosewarmer before, so we will see what I can come up with.

Cheers.
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

Vermont Freehand wrote:Here's my $0.02, though the stem may need some adjusting, I think it's comfortable for my liking, but maybe thats my overbite talking.

This lovely little guy arrived at my house this afternoon. :)

the pipe has incredible grain, as the pictures can attest, and you have done an excellent job of shaping it to maximize the grain pattern. I really like the contrast between the thickness of the pipe's base and the delicate thinness of the bowl at the top.

The stem is quite lovely. I think the alterations you made were right on! It's so thin and delicate...I'm scared to hold it in my teeth. Lol.

The delrin tenon is well executed as well. :)

I think this pipe is a real success! It's a unique shape, and I'm excited to smoke it! I'll post a follow up to this post after a few bowls have gone through it. :)
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

Awesome, I'm glad you like it. Let me know how she smokes.
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

Got my pipe from FredS today. I'd post his photos if I knew how do do quotes but don't, you can find the pics a couple or three pages back in this thread. It is a beautiful well executed pipe. Just smoked my first bowl, MacBaren HH Vintage Syrian, all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Smoked great, easy draw, I'm a very happy camper. Fred, a very excellent job .

Fred, as per Kurt's rules, I'll send you a detailed critique via private mail soon.

bob
T3pipes

Post by T3pipes »

Got Tim's sit and spin today. these photos do not do it justice. the stem extension grain is symmetrical curves that really add to the beauty when it is held in the hand and rotated.

I put my first half bowl through it with a custom shop blend. good draw, cool burn (the walls are THICK), and very little wood taste. At first I was wondering about the abrupt taper to the button, but it is very comfortable.

Thanks Tim. Will shoot you a PM after I wake up and put another bowl through it.
TimGeorge wrote:Happy New Year to some lucky pipemaker. Hope you enjoy. A recent post about a sittier that would not sit got me to thinking about this one -- only 4.5 inches and 64 grams. It not only sits, but spins as well ...

pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Okay, I busted my hump this week and finished this chubby little fellow up about an hour ago. Overall length is right around 4 1/2 inches (115 mm).

In the pictures, it looks like there's a space between the stem and the shank, but when I hold it up to the light, I don't see a thing. I guess it's just something weird going on with the light in my light tent bouncing around in the wax or something.

Anywho, Lord willing and the creek don't rise, it's going out in the mail tomorrow. :wink:
Last edited by pierredekat on Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

That's nice!!!
TimGeorge
Site Supporter

Post by TimGeorge »

Thank you, T3, and also for the detailed PM comments. Glad you liked it. I have not made that many so it was a risk sending it to someone knowledgeable.

Now .. continuing on, I should say that on Saturday I received my very impressive little pipe from SimeonTurner. Some pictures are here:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com/

Its a cute little thing, and puts me in mind of the recent P&T article on miniature pipes rather than nosewarmers. Very well constructed, and I like the contrast between the rustication and the smooth top. My first two bowls were excellent. Nice draw, little wood taste. No complaints here ... The biggest distinguishing characteristic, obviously, is the concept of keeping a short pipe "proportional," as if it were a scaled-down version of a larger one, rather than a fat, stubby one like I made above. Thanks again. I have learned a lot and definitely will join the next PITH trade.
Regards,
Tim
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

I received Eder's pipe today!!! The pictures definately do not do justice. The color contrast with the black under the red is stunning. The rustication is awesome (I would love to know how it was done). The inside of the bowl is perfectly sanded to a 600 or finer. The silver ring is a very nice accent (I would also love to know how this is done). Nice balance, good portioning. Very nice attention to detail on rusticating and smoothing particular grain, to follow the shape of the pipe and the grain. I am so happy to finally have a nice pipe. The one I have always smoked is one I made which was not sellable, and have never owned a really nice pipe. The box it came in was a very nice touch, makes it even more special. And the brown velvety pouch is just right. I am so happy, I can't wipe the smirk off my face. I have a couple bowls worth left of my favorite tobacco, tonight will be the first smoke in the new pipe!!! There is just one minor thing I would have done different, but besides that, not much to critique. The hole in the stem at the mouthpiece end could have been funnelled a little more as opposed to the half-circule cutout, but thats not a big deal to me, I'll probably leave it as is. Thank you Eder so much for your very generous contribution and speedy 5 day shipping from France to VT. Thanks Kurt for getting the PITH together, I have thoroughly enjoyed the whole process.