Knife for trade. (DONE)

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.
i.keenum

Knife for trade. (DONE)

Post by i.keenum »

Have a damascus hidden tang hunting knife that I would like to trade for a pipe kit. It is about 10 inches long with a 4 1/2 cutting edge. Blade blank of this knife is made of 512 layers of 1095 and 15N20 high carbon steel. Handle is black and red stablized maple burl with a white fiber spacer.

I'm looking for a pipe kit with a green or blue cumberland stem blank, just a rod with the airway drilled and a tennon cut or a derlin tenon. The block isn't too important as long as it doesn't have any chamber flaws. I'm wanting to do a black stained rusticated straight billiard with a cumberland stem.

Thank you brothers for your support. I know I need to get a drill press so I can start ruining my own blocks lol. :D Still carving out of the dinning room for now.

Last edited by i.keenum on Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sandahlpipe

Re: Knife for trade.

Post by sandahlpipe »

Now that's a nice knife, there! Do you make a lot of knives?
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
i.keenum

Re: Knife for trade.

Post by i.keenum »

Probably around as many pipes I have made , so about ten each. Still using knife blanks then putting the handles on and doing the pipes from kits. Biggest piece of machinery I have is a dremel as of now so most of my work is still done with files and sand paper.

My pops has a lot of space and lives about 3 miles away and I want to get a shop set up over there as I slowly accumulate tools.
JMG

Re: Knife for trade. (Pending)

Post by JMG »

Very cool looking knife. If I had the stuff to trade you I certainly would.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
i.keenum

Re: Knife for trade. (DONE)

Post by i.keenum »

Thanks ! It's a labor of love and will keep doing it as long as I can make enough or trade to get the next project. As much as I would like to quit my day job and make a living with my hands , that isn't in the stars as of now.

Need to make a trip up to jackson and meet you one day at the jacks pipe shop. When you headed back on your mission?
JMG

Post by JMG »

We head back some time in March. Anytime you're up in Jxn just let me know. I'll treat you to lunch and then hit up the Country Squire.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
socrates

Post by socrates »

I would certainly trade you a pre-drilled block but don't have what you require for the stem. The knife is GREAT. I am sure that one day you will have your own shop for knife and pipe making. The best of luck to you. Keep showing us your work's.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk
i.keenum

Post by i.keenum »

I'd gladly trade knives for kit again. I have the tools in the family to progress further. My grandad in law lives about 30 miles away and has lathes , drill presses, belt sanders and all that fun stuff. Problem is he doesn't use it much and a lot of it is in varying states of decay. He has two lathes that haven't been powered on in probably 20 years, if I lived closer to him I'd start fixing up and repairing his shop for him. He used to have wood working shop in town in the 70's when there was a need for that kind of thing. Now all the tools are in two old sheds since then.

They are both old craftsman lathes, maybe when I get a place with a garage or shed I'll see if he will sell one of them. Till then I'll stick to stuff I can put in my Rubbermaid containers I use to store my crafts.
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

I'll trade a kit with cumberland stem for the knife, pm me if interested