First pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
ditchdoctor543

First pipe

Post by ditchdoctor543 »

I tried joining earlier to get some advice on this project, but for better or worse I've finished it now. Attached are pictures of the finished project. Throughout this process I've come to really enjoy working with briar and look forward to making a few more for myself in the future. This pipe was carved from a briar blank, and the stem is 11 1/2 inches of solid white oak. It's all stained with feibrings leather dye, and partially rusticated. The joint between the stem and stumel was nearly my demise, but I was able to hide the gap small gap with a "band aid" (wrapped and epoxied twine to give the appearance of a single wrap). It all comes apart neatly though. I'm not thrilled with the overall shape of the bowl, but I was afraid of making the walls too thin. Overall I'm very happy with my first attempt, but I am open to all criticism. I know it's far from perfect and would like any and all tips you guys can offer. Let me know if any questions I can answer.

Im sorry for the large pictures. I tried to crop them down

Last edited by ditchdoctor543 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ditchdoctor543

Re: First pipe

Post by ditchdoctor543 »

Also doing this all from my phone so it's a process. Let me know if you want more angles or closeups.

A little story behind this project. My brother and I are aspiring wood workers with a bit of experience and thought making churchwarden pipes for eachother would be a great challenge. I know their not the most practical, but it'll be fun to enjoy with him when we don the exchange.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

If you're looking for constructive feedback, there's a sticky on how to take pictures for the gallery. It's a fun first pipe and I've seen much worse. If you're looking for a bigger challenge, try making a straight billiard. :-)
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
ditchdoctor543

Post by ditchdoctor543 »

Ha Thanks I'll check that out
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

Hey, that’s not too shabby for a first pipe. Now go make some more!
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Nice first pipe! I'm glad you had fun.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
ditchdoctor543

Post by ditchdoctor543 »

Thanks everyone. The plan is to do a smooth poker for the next one.
ditchdoctor543

Post by ditchdoctor543 »

does anyone happen to have advice on matching the dye of the bowl/stem? The briar seems to have taken a more reddish hue with the same concentrations, while the oak is darker.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Test your stains and finishes on scrap before you apply to the finished piece. You can adjust the color and intensity of the dye itself.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
ditchdoctor543

Post by ditchdoctor543 »

sandahlpipe wrote:Test your stains and finishes on scrap before you apply to the finished piece. You can adjust the color and intensity of the dye itself.