Lovat love

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
AirrikWeaver

Lovat love

Post by AirrikWeaver »

e. weaver lovat.jpg
(98.66 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
almost finished with this lovat. alittle more sanding and then the final buffing. Im pretty happy with this pipe so far as I do not make a lot of classics but I love a lovat. the top line of the shank got a little out of straight but it is so thin I cant really take more material off so I guess I have to live with it. A good challenge for me.
AirrikWeaver

Re: Lovat love

Post by AirrikWeaver »

Is there another way to upload photo here? let me know if anyone can see this please
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I saw this one over on FB, and I can see the single shot you’ve posted above. When you finish, try to post the various images from the sticky at the beginning of the gallery by Premal.
This pipe has a handsome grain.
The major thing that catches my eye is that there is little or no taper from the spherical portion of the bowl up. It is a bit too cylindrical.
I also don’t see any forward cant , but this could be the angle of the photo.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
AirrikWeaver

Post by AirrikWeaver »

thanks doc. yep you are absolutely correct in your critique. this could use a little cant and taper to the bowl/ the shank needs alittle work yet too. thanks for looking. I will post more pics when I get it all finished up. I was basing this one 2 pipes that I own. a stanwell made lovat and and old dunhill billiard. then stanwell has a very cylindrical bowl with hardly any cant if at all. the dunhill has a nice slender shank. was going for a bit of a hybrid. definitely a challenge for me to do classics as I do not make them often. thanks again for the feedback.