Freehand Churchwarden

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Literaryworkshop

Freehand Churchwarden

Post by Literaryworkshop »

Made this churchwarden on request, after I took a year off of making pipes. It wasn't an intentional hiatus, but I had gotten busy with other things and just left the pipemaking on the back burner. I was a little rusty, but I hadn't forgotten as much as I had feared.

In the end, I was okay with how the pipe looks in person, but I had a hard time getting a good photo of it--which is a pretty good indication that there's something off with the shape. Just couldn't put my finger on it. Let me know what you think.
Pipe #44 Briar Plateaux Churchwarden Battle Axe 2018 (1).jpg
Pipe #44 Briar Plateaux Churchwarden Battle Axe 2018 (1).jpg (120.37 KiB) Viewed 1901 times
Pipe #44 Briar Plateaux Churchwarden Battle Axe 2018 (2).jpg
Pipe #44 Briar Plateaux Churchwarden Battle Axe 2018 (2).jpg (96.39 KiB) Viewed 1901 times
Pipe #44 Briar Plateaux Churchwarden Battle Axe 2018 (4).jpg
Pipe #44 Briar Plateaux Churchwarden Battle Axe 2018 (4).jpg (177.71 KiB) Viewed 1901 times
Pipe #44 Briar Plateaux Churchwarden Battle Axe 2018 (5).jpg
Pipe #44 Briar Plateaux Churchwarden Battle Axe 2018 (5).jpg (175.26 KiB) Viewed 1901 times
- Steve S.
DocAitch

Re: Freehand Churchwarden

Post by DocAitch »

The rear line of the cheek (at the stem shank junction) bulges backwards, giving it a bulgy look and breaking the continuity of the surface from top to bottom, and it doesn’t match the front line the bowl.
I also think the shank might look better if it were concave instead of convex (i.e. if it pinched in instead of bulging out. If you look at the light reflection in the first photo you can see what I am suggesting- the light reflection has the line that I would follow.)
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
Literaryworkshop

Re: Freehand Churchwarden

Post by Literaryworkshop »

Yeah, I think I see what you're pointing out. That really helps!

I want to keep playing with different variations on this shape until I get something that looks good. It will take me a few more pipes to get there, I'm sure.

The good news is that it sold quickly. That always gives me a little hope.
- Steve S.