Would Like Your Opinions With This Lovat Lines Especially

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
shikano53

Would Like Your Opinions With This Lovat Lines Especially

Post by shikano53 »

I tried another Lovat. I use an old steel protractor from an old piece of equipment to try and get my lines right. I seem to get them close and then pop, another spot of light peeking through at me. Despite my best attempt at the shank/stem junction and using information from other posts, I'm still having trouble getting it to where it is truly seamless. The scratch on the ring is too deep to sand out so I will either make a new stem or just smoke it as is.
Here is what I'm using to try and hold my lines straight
Thanks folks.
sandahlpipe

Re: Would Like Your Opinions With This Lovat Lines Especial

Post by sandahlpipe »

I’m not great at marking up pictures on my phone, but this is what I see. The area right under the bowl/shank is hard to get right. The tendency when going for flat is to take too much off the front of the bowl (which you did) and not enough off the back of the bowl. Also, you want the bowl to be a perfect circle (better than my scrawling) from the top and bottom view.

Overall, this is more of an egg and less of a billiard. Slim down the curves on the bowl a bit to get it to billiard.

---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
shikano53

Post by shikano53 »

Thanks Jeremiah, duly noted and copied for further use.
RickB

Post by RickB »

IAWJ, but here's what jumps out most at me:
Is the chamber drilled at 90 degrees, or a bit more open? I think you'd want that closer to 92 or 93, with the rim perpendicular to the chamber. Standard "take this with a giant rock of salt because I'm a newbie too" caveat applies.
That being said, this is my favorite of yours so far.
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
shikano53

Post by shikano53 »

Thanks Rick for the advice. I did cant the bowl forward when I chucked it. Are you referring to canting the rim the same way you would cant a cutty? Not with that amount of cant on it of course. If I'm seeing this in my mind's eye correctly than I think I finally understand. The cant of the rim has to be perpendicular to the forward cant of the drilling? Sorry for repeating stuff, it helps me understand.
Great comments! Onward to the next attempt.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I thought maybe it wasn’t canted far enough, but I’m chalking it up to the extra material on the back of the bowl. Too much material on the back of the bowl makes the rim look backwards. That’s also why some people undercut the bowl a bit. It gives the bowl even more of a forward appearance.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
RickB

Post by RickB »

shikano53 wrote:Thanks Rick for the advice. I did cant the bowl forward when I chucked it. Are you referring to canting the rim the same way you would cant a cutty? Not with that amount of cant on it of course. If I'm seeing this in my mind's eye correctly than I think I finally understand. The cant of the rim has to be perpendicular to the forward cant of the drilling? Sorry for repeating stuff, it helps me understand.
Great comments! Onward to the next attempt.
This, exactly. If you do the rim while it's on the lathe still and chucked in position for drilling the chamber, it'll be right where it needs to be. I look forward to seeing the next one - I wish I was half as productive as you are!
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
shikano53

Post by shikano53 »

I wish I was half as productive as you are!

That's just because I'm a crotchety old codger with too much time on my hands.
RickB

Post by RickB »

shikano53 wrote:I wish I was half as productive as you are!

That's just because I'm a crotchety old codger with too much time on my hands.
Sounds like my dream job! :lol: