I tried 2 More Billiard Shapes A Maple Lovat & A Rust Liveve

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
shikano53

I tried 2 More Billiard Shapes A Maple Lovat & A Rust Liveve

Post by shikano53 »

I tried to follow past advice to try again on a couple of billiards.
I used Maple for the Lovat - it's a cheaper to work with. Both are just shop pipes I smoke. I tried to mark some of what I consider to be errors in the pictures. Neither are canted but I will cant the next one I make. I would call them billiard-ish but lots of work still to be done in shaping. Any comments are appreciated. I'm still experiencing trouble right at the bottom of the bowl/shank if you look at the Driver's view. I find I leave a file mark that is difficult to fix because it goes so deep. More work on my part. I have 3 different size chainsaw files I use trying to round that up and make the 2 cylinders (that's how I picture it) of the stummel look better. The stamping is very, very messy. I was trying to line up 1/16" stamp numbers and it didn't work out well. The overall 'billiard' shape needs a lot more thought and work.
Thank you.
The Rusticated Liverpool had several serious briar flaws but no leakers. Again, I smoke them or will smoke them in the shop.
Should have pulled the sides of the shank way in
DocAitch

Re: I tried 2 More Billiard Shapes A Maple Lovat & A Rust Li

Post by DocAitch »

Hold a straight edge against your shanks while you are shaping. A pice of card stock works fine.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
shikano53

Re: I tried 2 More Billiard Shapes A Maple Lovat & A Rust Li

Post by shikano53 »

Thanks Doc, don't know why I never thought of that. :banghead: