Second completed Pipe. Blasted Billiard.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
DocAitch

Re: Second completed Pipe. Blasted Billiard.

Post by DocAitch »

You could also make a new stem. Daunting, I know, but it is a practice that I follow all too frequently.
Some masking tape on the shank and very careful shaping, and it is very do-able, but still a PIA.
Still, the more stems you make, the better you will be at it.
Touch up on the shank is very easy on a sandblast.
DocAitch
Last edited by DocAitch on Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

As stated above by latlov, you got the instincts for shaping and practice and reviewing basic machining is the next step.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
BriarShrink

Post by BriarShrink »

Thanks for all of the advice and tips!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
"I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new." ~ Robert W. Service
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Latlov? Is that another one of those pesky Russians? :roll:
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
BriarShrink

Post by BriarShrink »

DocAitch wrote:I generally cut my tobacco chambers undersized and enlarge them with sandpaper wrapped around a dowel. The dowel has a piece of lag bolt shank screwed into the end, and is then shaped on the lathe with the lag bolt shank chucked in. I then slit the dowel with a saw to hold the paper. 40 grit centers from a used shaping disc work well for bowl enlargement, finer grits for finishing.
A hand drill with the speed control set to very low with a pipe cleaner or plastic tie works well for controllable cutting.
I also use a hand powered cone made from a piece of shovel handle to cone the bowl at the tobacco chamber..
I can PM more details and photos if you want more info.
DocAitch
Doc, I'd love to see your setup when you have the time. My email is tgcobb@aol.com. Or Facebook as Thomas Cobb. Thanks so much!

"I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new." ~ Robert W. Service
danilo

Post by danilo »

BriarShrink wrote:
DocAitch wrote:I generally cut my tobacco chambers undersized and enlarge them with sandpaper wrapped around a dowel. The dowel has a piece of lag bolt shank screwed into the end, and is then shaped on the lathe with the lag bolt shank chucked in. I then slit the dowel with a saw to hold the paper. 40 grit centers from a used shaping disc work well for bowl enlargement, finer grits for finishing.
A hand drill with the speed control set to very low with a pipe cleaner or plastic tie works well for controllable cutting.
I also use a hand powered cone made from a piece of shovel handle to cone the bowl at the tobacco chamber..
I can PM more details and photos if you want more info.
DocAitch
Doc, I'd love to see your setup when you have the time. My email is tgcobb@aol.com. Or Facebook as Thomas Cobb. Thanks so much!

Doc, can you pm me your setup? Tks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk