Second completed Pipe. Blasted Billiard.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
BriarShrink

Second completed Pipe. Blasted Billiard.

Post by BriarShrink »

Here is my second completed. A few issues. The tenon is rough and unpolished. I need to make a sharper tool for smoother cuts than my carbide tipped tools. Also, didn't want to polish it since it just fits snug as is. There is a small tear out on the top of the bowl. Feedback is graciously appreciated. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
"I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new." ~ Robert W. Service
BriarShrink

Re: Second completed Pipe. Blasted Billiard.

Post by BriarShrink »

Measurements: 4.5" long, 1.75" tall, 3/4" chamber, 29 gms.

"I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new." ~ Robert W. Service
BriarShrink

Post by BriarShrink »

Better frontal view of bowl.Image

sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Figure out how to sharpen your tools, especially for the internals. Having a rough tenon like that may stay snug, or it may fuse to the walls of the mortise and become impossible to remove. Or it could become loose as the rough parts of the tenon and the mortise rub together from removal of the stem. If you can't figure out how to get your tools sharp enough, turn to slightly oversized and sand to final dimension, then polish the tenon with some compound on a clean cloth.

To get a clean mortise, make sure you're starting with a sharp drill bit. Then feed slowly. If you get tearout in the mortise, come back with a chucking reamer and open it up just a little bit to remove the tearout.

In terms of shape, make sure the bottom line is flat if you hold it up to a straight edge. Otherwise, it's pretty close, though maybe a bit too much on the bowl right at the bowl/shank junction.

The other thing is the rim. Besides the tearout, you've completely rounded over the inside rim so you can't tell where the rim stops and the chamber begins. That issue is compounded by whatever stain it looks like is in the bowl and maybe bowl coating? I'm not sure what that is. Whatever it is, I'd suggest either removing it entirely and re-applying a bowl coat. A messy bowl coat looks unappetizing.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Looks like most of what you need to work on is "toolmanship" (to coin a word). The chunking, tearouts, rough surfaces that should be smooth, etc. point to some sort of heavy-handedness, wrong angles, or (as Sandahl suggests) dull edges. It's impossible to know without watching you work, though. Also, maybe the lathe rpm isn't optimal for the task.

Your overall shaping is quite good for a second pipe, as is the finish & blasting. Lots of good instincts on display there, I think.

Before making #3, I'd mess a bit with scraps of briar and stem stock, drilling, shaping, turning tenons, and etc. Get your tools all razor-y and experiment with different speeds, angles, and pressures. When properly done, both materials shave away cleanly and without chatter, drama, or burning, almost like a hard bar of soap.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
BriarShrink

Post by BriarShrink »

sandahlpipe wrote:Figure out how to sharpen your tools, especially for the internals. Having a rough tenon like that may stay snug, or it may fuse to the walls of the mortise and become impossible to remove. Or it could become loose as the rough parts of the tenon and the mortise rub together from removal of the stem. If you can't figure out how to get your tools sharp enough, turn to slightly oversized and sand to final dimension, then polish the tenon with some compound on a clean cloth.

To get a clean mortise, make sure you're starting with a sharp drill bit. Then feed slowly. If you get tearout in the mortise, come back with a chucking reamer and open it up just a little bit to remove the tearout.

In terms of shape, make sure the bottom line is flat if you hold it up to a straight edge. Otherwise, it's pretty close, though maybe a bit too much on the bowl right at the bowl/shank junction.

The other thing is the rim. Besides the tearout, you've completely rounded over the inside rim so you can't tell where the rim stops and the chamber begins. That issue is compounded by whatever stain it looks like is in the bowl and maybe bowl coating? I'm not sure what that is. Whatever it is, I'd suggest either removing it entirely and re-applying a bowl coat. A messy bowl coat looks unappetizing.
Thanks Jeremiah. Making some sharp tools out of blanks is first on my list for this week. I hear you loud and clear on the rim.

BriarShrink

Post by BriarShrink »

LatakiaLover wrote:Looks like most of what you need to work on is "toolmanship" (to coin a word). The chunking, tearouts, rough surfaces that should be smooth, etc. point to some sort of heavy-handedness, wrong angles, or (as Sandahl suggests) dull edges. It's impossible to know without watching you work, though. Also, maybe the lathe rpm isn't optimal for the task.

Your overall shaping is quite good for a second pipe, as is the finish & blasting. Lots of good instincts on display there, I think.

Before making #3, I'd mess a bit with scraps of briar and stem stock, drilling, shaping, turning tenons, and etc. Get your tools all razor-y and experiment with different speeds, angles, and pressures. When properly done, both materials shave away cleanly and without chatter, drama, or burning, almost like a hard bar of soap.
Thanks LatLov. I've been using a spade bit for the chamber and keep getting some degree of tear. Perhaps I need to feed the bit slower and back it out more often to clear th chamber. Working on a lighter touch for sure. I do tend to be heavy handed and too aggressive. That's led to my catastrophic failures. Thanks for the feedback.

BriarShrink

Post by BriarShrink »

Hastily applied bowl coating.

BriarShrink

Post by BriarShrink »

I tried to rework the top a bit and clean up the chamber. I didn't quite get all the way down to the bevel. Image

sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

This is the kind of thing that's much more easily done right in the first place than fixed after the fact. But good for you to try and correct it.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
BriarShrink

Post by BriarShrink »

sandahlpipe wrote:This is the kind of thing that's much more easily done right in the first place than fixed after the fact. But good for you to try and correct it.
I always want to do something with the rim...beveled or domed. They've all come out...somewhere in between in no man's land. Thanks Jeremiah.

sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I should also say I've seen a lot worse pipes at this stage in the game. Keep it up and you'll improve quickly.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
Charl

Post by Charl »

To add to the above: when applying a bowl coating, make sure that as much stain as possible is removed by sanding, else the bowl coating will not stay in those spots.
Rule of thumb regarding stem work on the lathe: drill slow, shape fast.
Good luck!
BriarShrink

Post by BriarShrink »

sandahlpipe wrote:I should also say I've seen a lot worse pipes at this stage in the game. Keep it up and you'll improve quickly.
This forum is certainly a treasure of information and a huge help! Thanks.

BriarShrink

Post by BriarShrink »

Charl wrote:To add to the above: when applying a bowl coating, make sure that as much stain as possible is removed by sanding, else the bowl coating will not stay in those spots.
Rule of thumb regarding stem work on the lathe: drill slow, shape fast.
Good luck!
Thanks Charl. I think I will skip coating for a while and work on getting the chamber smooth and clean. Best, Tom....drill slow, turn fast, drill slow, turn fast.

wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

The plane that your rim is on should be somewhat perpendicular to the line of the face of the bowl. Yours is on the same plane as the shank. When you cant the bowl the rim should move with it if that makes any sense. If you do anything other than go with a flat rim, do it subtly on classic shapes. That includes rounding and concave.

The last step before applying bowl coating is to sand the chamber. The main reason to do this is to remove any oil you've deposited from your fingers. Don't worry so much about stain; it will stick to it. It's the oil you have to worry about. After sanding the chamber, don't stick your fingers in there again until bowl coating is applied and dry. Also blow through your stem after sanding to get the briar dust out of the airway before applying the bowl coating. Otherwise it will collect on the chamber walls later and looks bad.

Other than that and what's already been mentioned, it's a pretty decent second pipe. Quite a bit better than my second.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

wdteipen wrote: Quite a bit better than my second.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Charl

Post by Charl »

George! Now now! :lol:
A lot better than most of us, I reckon!
BriarShrink

Post by BriarShrink »

wdteipen wrote:The plane that your rim is on should be somewhat perpendicular to the line of the face of the bowl. Yours is on the same plane as the shank. When you cant the bowl the rim should move with it if that makes any sense. If you do anything other than go with a flat rim, do it subtly on classic shapes. That includes rounding and concave.

The last step before applying bowl coating is to sand the chamber. The main reason to do this is to remove any oil you've deposited from your fingers. Don't worry so much about stain; it will stick to it. It's the oil you have to worry about. After sanding the chamber, don't stick your fingers in there again until bowl coating is applied and dry. Also blow through your stem after sanding to get the briar dust out of the airway before applying the bowl coating. Otherwise it will collect on the chamber walls later and looks bad.

Other than that and what's already been mentioned, it's a pretty decent second pipe. Quite a bit better than my second.
Thanks so much Wayne. I knew the bowl looked off, but didn't know quite why. Appreciate the primer on bowl coating. Looking forward to the next piece. Best-Tom

DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I generally cut my tobacco chambers undersized and enlarge them with sandpaper wrapped around a dowel. The dowel has a piece of lag bolt shank screwed into the end, and is then shaped on the lathe with the lag bolt shank chucked in. I then slit the dowel with a saw to hold the paper. 40 grit centers from a used shaping disc work well for bowl enlargement, finer grits for finishing.
A hand drill with the speed control set to very low with a pipe cleaner or plastic tie works well for controllable cutting.
I also use a hand powered cone made from a piece of shovel handle to cone the bowl at the tobacco chamber..
I can PM more details and photos if you want more info.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy