Rusticated Oval Shank Billiard #14

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
pmbattles

Rusticated Oval Shank Billiard #14

Post by pmbattles »

So my wife likes this style, I am not to sure about it. Anyways, another oval shank billiard. Critiques welcome, Thanks in advance.
Attachments
IMG_2631.jpg
IMG_2631.jpg (41.16 KiB) Viewed 1513 times
IMG_2624.jpg
IMG_2624.jpg (35.78 KiB) Viewed 1513 times
IMG_2608.jpg
(37.61 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
IMG_2606.jpg
(32.49 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
IMG_2607.jpg
(37.36 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Sasquatch

Re: Rusticated Oval Shank Billiard #14

Post by Sasquatch »

Lots of good things here, lots of little things done well. Your transitions are clean, shaping pretty symmetric, I don't see any scratches on the stem.

Saddle on the stem is not perfectly even top/bottom, more definition (and fake definition - you can take the side down further if you are aftraid to make the stem thinner in the middle) there would be good.

I find the presentation bowl heavy - this probably comes from the lower profile shank - so something to consider is that if you flatten the shank, the bowl is going to look a little fat in comparison. The other thing going on here is that to my eye, the back and front profiles of the bowl don't match, which is to say that the top of the bowl looks bevelled off at an angle that is not perpendicular to the midline of the bowl - tie this into the side profile of the bowl (which I like more than either the front or the back) and I get the feeling that it's a little strangely shaped.

NOT a fan of this rustication because it looks like a sausage on the bottom. Looks cool elsewhere though!
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!