#3- Billiard

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
MmmPeace

#3- Billiard

Post by MmmPeace »

Learning a lot while making these pipes, I had the joy of sanding through to the airway on not one, but two ebonite stems... :banghead: I then made a stem out of acrylic so I would have some ebonite rod leftover... I ended up cracking my shank again while fitting the second stem, I repaired it with some CA glue and briar dust, it is airtight but the crack is still visible... I really enjoyed this pipe. For my next pipe I will slow down even more and figure out how to drill and turn ON CENTER as I am struggling with this for some reason. Overall I think I am improving and would love some feedback, thanks all! p.s. in the first photo it appears the stem isn't flush to the pipe, it actually is I just had to press it in a little tighter, so at least I got that part right :D
1.jpg
1.jpg (170.07 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (81.38 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (159.55 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (115.38 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (139.04 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
sandahlpipe

Re: #3- Billiard

Post by sandahlpipe »

This pipe looks like blowing a soap bubble over a candle. There's still a pipe hiding in there.

1. Take the bottom of the pipe and shape it to flat. The bottom line of the pipe should be straight from the shank face to the middle of the bowl.
2. The top of the shank (as well as the sides) should also be straight from the shank face to the point where they meet the bowl.
3. Make the transition from the straight shank lines to the bowl with a chainsaw file. You don't want a radius any larger than that. And if you're not sure you're straight, hold a ruler to your work and look for a light gap.

My advice is to take this one back to the shaping stage and fix it. There are more details to address, but start with those.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Charl

Post by Charl »

As an aside: how did you get the pipe so black? Paint?
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Agree with Jeremiah.
The front shot looks pretty good, symmetrical.
The transition needs a lot of work. Break down your shape into component geometrical shapes and try for a transition the is a smallish, neat radius where the shapes meet. That requires file work.
It may break your heart to recut this pipe and refinish it, but there is a nice pipe inside, and you should try to find it.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
MmmPeace

Post by MmmPeace »

Charl I used multiple coats of ebony black stain from Vermont Freehand. I did a contrast stain then decided to just do all black, so stain, sand, repeat. Unfortunately, when I sanded through my stem(s) I ended up sanding down the shank trying to match them back up, now there is not enough briar left to correct :( Maybe I will still attempt to fix but I'm worried I brought the front of the bowl in too close and may sand through... Could be a shop pipe and learning experience tho! On the plus side I am ordering some VaPer blends so I plan on using this pipe for those :thumbsup: I have started my next attempt at a billiard and will take these notes into account while shaping, wish me luck!