#14 Straight egg

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Jakub P.

#14 Straight egg

Post by Jakub P. »

I don't want to say it's my last attempt of that shape. I'll make one more but that's it. Maybe then it will be successful.
And pay no attention to that stem. It will be changed too.

There wasn't much I could do about these flaws. I'm trying to figure out how to rusticate this pipe. The point is I don't like rusticated pipes. With few exception but they are out of my league.

Thank you and have a great weekend.

"Making pipes is easy. Making GOOD pipes is hard. Just keep at it and never be satisfied" - George Dibos

www.nouw.com/jp_pipes/about-me
www.etsy.com/ie/shop/JPPipes?ref=search_shop_redirect
www.facebook.com/JP-Pipes-962144290546960/?ref=hl
sandahlpipe

Re: #14 Straight egg

Post by sandahlpipe »

See my comments on the billiard. The bowl/shank transition is quite good on this one, but the same thing with the rim. It needs to be clearly defined.

And rusticate the sides to hide those flaws. Those are nasty!
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

You did a lot better with the shank and bowl transition. The assymetry pointed out by George doesn't hit my eye, but George has a sharper eye.
Sandblasting or rustication is the only way to hide the flaws. A dark finish might help if you a won't do a rustication and are not equipped for sand blasting. I don't care for rustication either.
If you try to define the rim, you will either have to come down a couple of mm on the height or taper in the top. I would personally leave it alone and finish as is. I know Jeremiah told you that "flat rims are boring" so you must be somewhat confused.
You are following advice and this does look better.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

This is a sharp looking pipe, and you are progressing quickly. One thing that I think would make it look better is to have left the cheeks a bit rounder. You have symmetry from left to right AND top to bottom. Like an actual egg, I think the bowl should be a little rounder and heavier towards the bottom (I think maybe George was hinting at that too...) Overall, coming along nicely.

sent from my blah-dee-blah using hooty-hoo
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
Charl

Post by Charl »

Another little thing that to me doesn't work: don't taper the white accent. Rather leave it in line with the shank line and then round the edge towards the shankface off. If that makes sense?