Second solo Sandblast Dublinish Sitter

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
DocAitch

Second solo Sandblast Dublinish Sitter

Post by DocAitch »

Here is the second sandblast done with Jason Thompson's equipment. This was a very attractive stummel marred by a couple of splits low in the bowel and a fairly large black goober (technical term) in the rim.
I put a little stain on the shank face after this photo. The tenon face has been counter sunk and polished, but I left some cleaning crud on it.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
wdteipen

Re: Second solo Sandblast Dublinish Sitter

Post by wdteipen »

Sand and/or bowl coat your tobacco chambers.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I like the bowl shaping on this one and the sandblast is pretty elegant. I think this pipe would have been killer if you didn't experiment with the stem. Sometimes simple is the better way to go. For me, the styling on the stem is a distraction on an otherwise really nice pipe.
Wayne Teipen
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

IAWW
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

IDNAWW
DocAitch
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Guys, it's a free hand. The stem and stummel were shaped together, and the final shape developed as it was finished. It could have been a Dublin or even a billiard, there was no particular shape planned. The decision to blast it was made at the very end. It is what it is.
DocAitch
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

It's a FrankenPipe (though only a mild example). Swoopy stem-shank curviness attached to a simple, barrel-shaped bowl just don't ain't not anykinda look right, in either general stylistic terms, or this specific instance where the visual weight is way off (too much mass in the shank).

i.e. ISAWW
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

The stummel shape is really nice and the blast helps capitalize the design. The left profile shot of the stem's saddle is in harmony with the stummel's lines IMHO, but the corkscrew shape of the saddle distracts from the overall shape on the right side. It is a nice symmetrical shape until the saddle. I'm not sure if it is because of the screw styled saddle, but the stem looks like it has a slight bend when looking at the pipe from the top and bottom.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Ah, well. We will have to leave the final judgement to the customer (or lack there of). I still like it.
IDNAWWLLAK
DocAitch
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

A final thought:

The term "freehand" only means that a particular standard shape isn't being aimed for (once upon a time that meant chart shapes, today there are some new standards), not that "anything goes" in terms of violating the basics of flow, form, proportion, and balance.

(ISAWW)
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

I like the stem shape, and I like the stummel shape, but I don't like them TOGETHER. There is nothing that makes the visual "language" of the two go together. If that corkscrew element in the stem carried into the shank, and possible to the bowl, then I think there would be a relation between the two. I'm thinking of how the lines of a blowfish (not my favorite shape, but a good example here) continue from stem into stummel.
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Upon reflection (I spent some hours in the shop this morning), this conversation reminds me of one regarding a Castello 55 shape. It boils down to taste and aesthetics. I know I am not there with the aesthetics yet, my tasks are more prosaic, and I am still learning.
I respect the opinions rendered, but ultimately, I'm driving.
On reviewing the photos, I find that the underside of the saddle hits the shank at an angle, disrupting the flow. Otherwise, the 'swoopy' shank was for me an opportunity to utilize the 'S' curve. The 'screw' saddle was because I don't particularly care for straight saddles, etc.
For the record,
ISDNAWWLLAK
DocAitch
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Then what's the point of posting for review in the gallery. If you just wanted us to all tell you how awesome your pipe is then you should have stated that up front. :wink:
Wayne Teipen
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Well, I was looking for a critique of the technical aspects of the pipe. That's why I am here and why I bothered to invest in a set of lights and a better camera to meet Premal Chheda's posting criteria.There are a couple of areas where the sandblast is somewhat shallow, the stamping area is a little wonky. There were no comments on the stem work or stain.
I am somewhat mystified by the aesthetic critiques on this one, maybe I'm just dense.. I found your comments on the other rocker bamboo's second stem to be helpful, and will incorporate these observations into my stem making.
There is another recent gallery posting of mine, also a bamboo which has drawn no comments. Someone might make a comment about the bamboo/spacer joins and suggest a technique for better polishing or what ever.
It is interesting to note that the more "standard" a pipe appears, the more comments that it draws, despite a level of craftsmanship similar to others which have drawn no comments. In the case of this pipe, the most dialogue was spurred by the relatively minor deviations, stylistically, from standard.
DocAitch
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

LatakiaLover wrote:A final thought:

The term "freehand" only means that a particular standard shape isn't being aimed for (once upon a time that meant chart shapes, today there are some new standards), not that "anything goes" in terms of violating the basics of flow, form, proportion, and balance.

(ISAWW)
Freehand to me means the pipe is shaped by hand to maximize the presentation of the grain. After a satisfactory grain pattern is exposed, the stummel is drilled, stem rod attached and the shaping continues. At no time is the stummel turned on a lathe. This particular pipe had a grain which supported this particular shape. It could have gone several other ways.
I also don't think the shank is disproportionately heavy. I concede that the spiral cut of the saddle may be guilding the lilly, but not badly.
DocAitch
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Most people who work hard to be a good pipe maker are happy with their early pieces. A few years later, not so much.

You'll see. :wink:
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

DocAitch wrote:Well, I was looking for a critique of the technical aspects of the pipe. That's why I am here and why I bothered to invest in a set of lights and a better camera to meet Premal Chheda's posting criteria.There are a couple of areas where the sandblast is somewhat shallow, the stamping area is a little wonky. There were no comments on the stem work or stain.
I am somewhat mystified by the aesthetic critiques on this one, maybe I'm just dense.. I found your comments on the other rocker bamboo's second stem to be helpful, and will incorporate these observations into my stem making.
There is another recent gallery posting of mine, also a bamboo which has drawn no comments. Someone might make a comment about the bamboo/spacer joins and suggest a technique for better polishing or what ever.
It is interesting to note that the more "standard" a pipe appears, the more comments that it draws, despite a level of craftsmanship similar to others which have drawn no comments. In the case of this pipe, the most dialogue was spurred by the relatively minor deviations, stylistically, from standard.
DocAitch
Technically, I think this pipe is well done. I don't see the issues with the shallow sandblast in the photos so I can't comment on that. What I see looks good. Same is true with the stamping area. I don't see any real issues there but the pipe is in your hands. The technical stem work and stain look pretty good to me.

On the bamboo pipes you posted, they deviate from design standards significantly so there's not really a good way to critique them without going into personal preference. That's similar to the design uniqueness of the stem on this pipe. Technically speaking, your bamboo pipes look well made. From a design standpoint, I don't think they work, I could go into detail as to why I don't think so but it doesn't seem you're interested in critiques on your design elements. Technical aspects of execution and skill are typically more agreed upon and it's easier to accept that critique. But, adding personal stylistic elements to your work are more personal and folks tend to be more emotionally attached to those elements and therefor critical feedback can be harder to accept. Experienced guys on this forum are aware of this and may refrain from critiquing a stylistic pipe of which the maker seems proud. I think that's why your not getting much feedback on those two pipes. The stem on the one had technical elements that were wrong with it so that's what I critiqued just the stem.
Wayne Teipen
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

LatakiaLover wrote:Most people who work hard to be a good pipe maker are happy with their early pieces. A few years later, not so much.

You'll see. :wink:
I can attest to this.

As for the critique (or lack thereof) on other pipes, it is indeed difficult to judge a freehand. They appeal to a certain group of people, and despite being different than any other pipe, lack the true originality that sets a person apart at the top of the pack. At least nowadays.

The classic pipe shapes are classic for a reason. They have stylistic choices pre-made so that the whole critique can be objectively about execution. The truly unique ideas are based on the classic shapes but with one's own personal flavor.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Charl

Post by Charl »

Agree about the stem and bowl. They're nice, but not nice together.
Doc, you've come a long way!
In 10 years here on PMF, I've learned a couple of things about posting here on the Gallery. 1) If you get replies, feel flattered. Somebody notices what you're doing. 2) Take from the real pro's, they know what they're talking about. 3) Forget what the loud mouths say.
Keep doing what you're doing!
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

OK, thank you guys. I do tend to become more involved in process rather than design, and realize that these designs, especially the bamboos suffer from aethetic deficiencies. Right now my aim is to develop the technical skills to produce crispness, good transitions, and acceptable stem work.
As for the aesthetics, that will progress (or not). I have taken the 'S' curve to heart, as well as Sasquatch's admonition not to drop below the stem with the bottom of the bowl (most of the time).
Eventually, the customer/consumer will have the ultimate say.
I greatly appreciate any comments on technique, and will eventually absorb comments on aesthetics (when I 'get it').
I will attempt not to be disagreeable about those comments, perhaps I will develop a code phrase such as "Interesting" = ( "Fuck you!, Fuck you! Fuck you! Strong letter to follow! :lol:)
DocAit