2013 Pipe In The Hat Trade

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
scotties22

Re: 2013 Pipe In The Hat Trade

Post by scotties22 »

I have ideas too....most of them are not conducive to pipe making, though :lol:

Got ya down PH
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
phmann

Post by phmann »

Oh don't get me wrong, when I said "idea" it has nothing to do with pipes. I just needed one in general...
"A good pipe guides the restless mind."

-Manny

http://mriverapipes.wordpress.com
notow1

Post by notow1 »

If Your making something that should look like an apple and decide it looks more like a pepper, can You finally call it an edible flower? I'm just asking in case this happens to someone else, not Me. Norm
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

I've got a couple of ideas. I'm really tempted to do a strawberry, or maybe a nut shape.

Does it have to be briar? If not, I'm highly tempted to do a walnut in walnut or a pecan in pecan.
- Steve S.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I don't think it has to be briar....as long as it's smokeable :D

You should think about doing a pecan out of walnut or a walnut out of pecan.....or an orange out of strawberry. Ya know, mix it up.

I couldn't help myself. My stummel is turned and shaped and just needs a stem. It's sitting on a shelf and I probably won't touch it again until the beginning of September.
www.ladybriar.com
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

I think I'll go with a strawberry myself. I've got a few ideas how to make it work. At least that's the plan. :banghead:
Pipe Maker in the Making!
phmann

Post by phmann »

I'm really bummed my apple blocks aren't dry yet.... Hey...., isn't briar a vegetable?
"A good pipe guides the restless mind."

-Manny

http://mriverapipes.wordpress.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Isn't there a post running around here somewhere about how to dry wood in the microwave? Or am I just making shit up??
www.ladybriar.com
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

Literaryworkshop wrote:I've got a couple of ideas. I'm really tempted to do a strawberry, or maybe a nut shape.

Does it have to be briar? If not, I'm highly tempted to do a walnut in walnut or a pecan in pecan.
I bet the person who gets your pipe would probably want it out of briar. its the most commonly used wood for a reason. im definitely not trying to be a jerk, I just know I would be kinda let down to get a pipe made from something other than briar or strawberry wood. sorry LW. not to slap your wrist or anything, im just throwing it out there. walnut or pecan extension would be great though.
the rev

Post by the rev »

I agree, I think it should be briar, stawberry, or olive wood

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
Massis

Post by Massis »

I'm still struggling with the shank length, do we count calabash chambers as length as well?
phirty

Post by phirty »

If not too late to jump in I would love to do so, just saw this string this morning. I am a newer carver and my son and I have been working together on some pipe building and designs, would like to join if relative newbies are still welcome (maybe could be a "newbie" category if there are enough of us?). I have a piece of briar and a design in mind . . . sounds like big fun.
the rev

Post by the rev »

phirty wrote:If not too late to jump in I would love to do so, just saw this string this morning. I am a newer carver and my son and I have been working together on some pipe building and designs, would like to join if relative newbies are still welcome (maybe could be a "newbie" category if there are enough of us?). I have a piece of briar and a design in mind . . . sounds like big fun.

The whole idea is that newbies play. That way I get one of your shitty pipes, and you get one of my shitty pipes, and we tell each other how shitty our shitty pipes are and then we cry in our beer. In fact we should rename this crying in the beer pipe trade. :)

In all seriousness we hope that the better pipe makers cans critique and help us that are novice pipe makers so we can improve our craft. In addition, those of us that are just learning can get a higher grade pipe in our hands to let us see how we can become better.

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
phirty

Post by phirty »

Rev, thanks for both the reply and the encouragement. Crying in our beer means we must have a beer to cry in, this keeps getting better and better.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Sorry boys, been out of commission since Saturday night. Phirty...got ya on the list. I'll post the updated roster tomorrow when I get home
www.ladybriar.com
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

*side note*
rev, when you going to Nashville?
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

the rev wrote:
phirty wrote:If not too late to jump in I would love to do so, just saw this string this morning. I am a newer carver and my son and I have been working together on some pipe building and designs, would like to join if relative newbies are still welcome (maybe could be a "newbie" category if there are enough of us?). I have a piece of briar and a design in mind . . . sounds like big fun.

The whole idea is that newbies play. That way I get one of your shitty pipes, and you get one of my shitty pipes, and we tell each other how shitty our shitty pipes are and then we cry in our beer. In fact we should rename this crying in the beer pipe trade. :)

In all seriousness we hope that the better pipe makers cans critique and help us that are novice pipe makers so we can improve our craft. In addition, those of us that are just learning can get a higher grade pipe in our hands to let us see how we can become better.

rev
That's kind of what I figured, but I wanted to check. If there were going to be lots of other alternate woods floating in and out, I wouldn't feel bad experimenting with one, but I didn't want to be the only one. I'll stick to briar for now. Might still do a nut shape with an appropriate extension. Hmmm.....

Somebody should do an olive olive, though.
- Steve S.
Rodneywt1180b

Post by Rodneywt1180b »

Massis wrote:I'm still struggling with the shank length, do we count calabash chambers as length as well?
I hope so because I'm thinking about experimenting with one as well.
I've got an idea stuck in my head and that's never a good thing but I think I can pull this one off.
I have a feeling there's going to be some crazy looking pipes coming out of this trade. It's going to be fun.
Rodney