Experienced pipe makers willing to teach?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
FrJacob

Experienced pipe makers willing to teach?

Post by FrJacob »

Anyone open to visits by a medium-skill pipe maker seeking technique improvements in his weak areas? I live in NE GA, but am willing, within my limited means, to go to where help is available. I’m aging fast (see photo), and need to make up for time wasted by not making pipes.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to put in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis [False assumption: one never speaks with a pipe in his mouth].
Ocelot55

Re: Experienced pipe makers willing to teach?

Post by Ocelot55 »

I'm not necessarily throwing my hat into the ring here, but one thing you should consider if you want training from a full time pipe maker is what you are willing to pay for such training. Hobbyists typically don't care, but if a full timer has to spend a day teaching, you should at least be comfortable compensating them for their lost labor. Some of the full time guys used to offer such training that ranged in price. Tim West still does it, but it's more of an entry level class. Todd Johnson used to take on pupils from time to time, but I think that is long done.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Having had a few "serious" visitors to my shop, I will echo Jesse's sentiment - it is a major headache, and if I did it again, I would charge for the time. I can make well over a thousand bucks a week if left alone to make pipes, and there's absolutely nothing in it for me to have someone else using my stuff and picking my brain. I don't mind once in awhile, but the truth is it's a day wasted for me when it does happen. It's fun to chat and have a smoke with someone, but that's about all.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I enjoy teaching people how to make pipes. I’ve had a few come visit my shop either to watch me work or to make their own pipes. My arrangement has been I’ll teach what I can in a day or two if you buy a pipe from me. It’s not really a good business move on my part to do it that way, but I don’t depend on pipe making income to live at this point. At the same time, I’m quite busy, so anyone visiting to make pipes would need to work around my schedule. Pipe making is my passion and I enjoy spreading my passion.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

I'll echo what Jeremiah said. I love teaching. It's nice to have someone else in the workshop from time to time, but this is also my livelihood and my time is valuable, and let's face it, pipe making isn't exactly the easiest way to make a living.
2smoke

Post by 2smoke »

FRJacob, I'm in Flowery Branch. Where are you located?
2smoke
I'm Still Here!
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

There's way too many pipemakers in the US, that's why experienced guys are starting to charge money for teaching, otherwise they would have a new guy knocking at their door each month.
It's never been that way, and still isn't in Europe. If you demonstrate dedication, the necessary aptitude and you get along well with the "mentor" you develop a relationship and can learn from them without even talking about money, except for some voluntary tokens of gratitude.
Start going to pipeshows, that's possibly the best thing you can do to evolve as a pipemaker.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

There are those of us who do not aspire to make a living with this stuff. I am in the fortunate position of being retired with adequate means to continue my modest life style.
I enjoy the craft and learning new techniques, and enjoy immensely the social interactions of meeting folks and talking about the craft. Shows, meet ups, visiting other shops, and pipe clubs are all part of the social interaction.
I have a standing invitation at both of my local clubs for folks to drop in.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
FrJacob

Post by FrJacob »

Thanks to all who responded. Such straightforward words are more than I'd hoped for [not that any other kind of words ever find a place on the forum]. I forgot to add my willingness to thank anyone willing for their time in dollars, which I am. I thought of it just after I got on the road for a meeting out of state and I just got back.

Jesse's distinction between hobbyists and full-time pipe-makers is helpful. A lot of us do tend to live in pipe dreams, somewhere between those two imagined extremes, which is maybe fine, until real time and real money are at stake. So again, thanks for the honesty! I think DocAitch's comment about enjoying the craft, learning, and talking about it is on target for all three types though, which is one reason why getting to a show is so great.

Buying a pipe is something I did think of, and I like that idea, but I wasn't sure how to bring it up as part of sounding someone out. Some might not respond the same as others. Bringing a pipe back from Chicago is already great. A pipe from a visit to a maker's shop would be worth more than the cost.

I wasn't sure about posting such a question in the first place, but the tone and content of all the responses made me glad I did.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to put in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis [False assumption: one never speaks with a pipe in his mouth].