PITH 2018!!!!

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.

PITH shape

Poll ended at Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:31 am

Ivarsson Tribute
22%
Bamboo
No votes
Briar Calabash
6%
Author
22%
Not round shank w/cap
6%
Pencil shank
6%
Cavalier
6%
Live edge plataeux
No votes
Wolfsteiner theme
6%
Lovat w/acrylic stem
No votes
Dublin
No votes
Oom Paul
No votes
Bent bulldog
No votes
Pipe on the PMF homepage
11%
Nosewarmer
11%
Reverse Calabash
6%

Total votes: 18

LatakiaLover

Re: PITH 2018!!!!

Post by LatakiaLover »

Howdy, all --

Manny asked me to break the voting tie for this year's PITH shape. :mrgreen:

So, here you go: Author

Why? Two reasons. By definition the PITH is a learning exercise, so a commonality of problems faced---and their solutions explained here on the board---will apply to, and benefit, everyone. That would not be the case if everyone chose their favorite shape from a famous carver's catalogue. The second reason is while the Author is a gold-plated pig bitch to get EXACTLY right, ending up with something DECENT is relatively easy. Meaning all skill levels can be accommodated.

So tear it up, guys. Have fun, share your problems and solutions (that's what the board is for), and remember that Manny is DONATING his time and energy to run this thing for YOUR benefit. He's a textbook fair-minded, All American guy, so please no jerking him around with excuses, blown promises, and so forth. OK? OK :D
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
RickB

Post by RickB »

LatakiaLover wrote:Howdy, all --

I KNEW IT.

I'm still in :lol:

So I know we've beaten proper billiard shape/proprotions to death on here.
We uh... have any similar resources/proportion requirements/etc. for authors anywhere?
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
Bluesytone

Post by Bluesytone »

So I know we've beaten proper billiard shape/proprotions to death on here.
We uh... have any similar resources/proportion requirements/etc. for authors anywhere?
Geeze...way to suck all the fun out of my freehand author idea... :D

seriously though.. i was looking for the same thing
my mouth is the marketing department for the circus in my head
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

Why? Two reasons. By definition the PITH is a learning exercise, so a commonality of problems faced---and their solutions explained here on the board---will apply to, and benefit, everyone. That would not be the case if everyone chose their favorite shape from a famous carver's catalogue. The second reason is while the Author is a gold-plated pig bitch to get EXACTLY right, ending up with something DECENT is relatively easy. Meaning all skill levels can be accommodated.

So tear it up, guys. Have fun, share your problems and solutions (that's what the board is for), and remember that Manny is DONATING his time and energy to run this thing for YOUR benefit. He's a textbook fair-minded, All American guy, so please no jerking him around with excuses, blown promises, and so forth. OK? OK :D
So this means George is making an author? Great! Welcome aboard.... didn't see your name on the list, just taking Manny a bit to edit the Op, right?

cool.

Sent from my bloopty-bloop, using hooty-hoo.
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

I stepped outside to get the mail a while ago and I faintly heard "YES!!!!". Sounded like it was coming from far away in a northwesterly direction. Hmmm.
PeskyPrussian

Post by PeskyPrussian »

Author sounds like a good option for this year. I've never quite made a classic author before and I'm happy to give it a try.

In future instances of a tie (or even in general) it might be worth it to just do a small run-off vote with the 2 or 3 highest voted options from the first round. Like any other elections in which there are almost as many options as voters, you end up with the situation where the winning plurality is still a very small proportion of the votes. I.e. while Author won the vote this year, 14 out of the 18 people who voted didn't choose it.

Not that it really matters, per se. Honestly, I'd be find with just having George pick the topic each year.
Adam Bybee
bybee_pipes - instagram
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

oklahoma red wrote:I stepped outside to get the mail a while ago and I faintly heard "YES!!!!". Sounded like it was coming from far away in a northwesterly direction. Hmmm.
Funny, I think I might have heard the same thing........

(YES!!) :D :D :D
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

RickB wrote: We uh... have any similar resources/proportion requirements/etc. for authors anywhere?
Actually, yes.

The Author was the official KC Carving Contest shape in 2016, and one of the seven winning pipes was made by PMF board member Scottie Piersel. It was considered to be the best of the seven by all three judges, in fact. 100% world class. It was an absolutely amazing specimen.

In short, she's "been there & done that".

She's quite active on social media and is easy to find and contact. Easy to talk to, too.
RickB

Post by RickB »

Oh I'd totally forgotten about that being the contest pipe, but I do remember seeing her doing some kick ass authors at some point. I'll go pull those up. Thanks!
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
Rshey

Post by Rshey »

I’m really looking forward to this! The more time I spend in the forum,the more I learn. When I read and look at the pipes in the gallery I just think I should give up,but something keeps drawing me back. It embarrass me when I think about the 7 pipes I’ve given away already. I may be skipping steps by participating in PITH 2018 this soon. But I do want to get better!
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

Rshey wrote:I’m really looking forward to this! The more time I spend in the forum,the more I learn. When I read and look at the pipes in the gallery I just think I should give up,but something keeps drawing me back. It embarrass me when I think about the 7 pipes I’ve given away already. I may be skipping steps by participating in PITH 2018 this soon. But I do want to get better!
There really is no down side to participating. You only get better, and you get a pipe out of it.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

Thank you George, for helping us out, and for the kind words.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
JMG

Post by JMG »

Ok, then. If my pipe sucks, it's George's fault.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

IAWG

Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I haven't been able to participate the past few years. I'm gonna put my name on the list in the hopes that my year runs smooth enough that I have a pipe to send someone when the time comes. The author is one of my favorite pipes to make......LOVE IT
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
RickB

Post by RickB »

scotties22 wrote:I haven't been able to participate the past few years. I'm gonna put my name on the list in the hopes that my year runs smooth enough that I have a pipe to send someone when the time comes. The author is one of my favorite pipes to make......LOVE IT
As George already clued us in/reminded us, yours are obviously pretty damn stunning.
You favor more the Dunhill school in terms of shaping/bend amount, right? Relatively huge and #notascottiepipe by your standards, but still relatively svelte as authors go?
I've got an unfinished Savinelli 320 and it's chubmonster with a classic case of Italian-school-too-much-chin. I like it anyway, but it's neither pretty nor clenchable.

And to Manny/George - I know that generally an author has a tapered stem (but maybe not always, depending on who you ask as long as it's not Mr. Pease?) - are we making that a requirement here, or would the (IMO) superior comfort of a saddle bit be allowed? I find the Saseini example below pretty nice looking:

LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

An Author shape discussion on another board:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/d ... t-happened
RickB

Post by RickB »

LatakiaLover wrote:An Author shape discussion on another board:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/d ... t-happened
Awesome, thank you - I'll read that now.
I'm honestly sort of chomping at the bit to get started - digging the idea of trying something with a fairly specific set of rules that's uh... you know, not a billiard :lol:
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Here's my contest pipe. Modeled after an early Dunhill CK

Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

I'm in, Author is a shape I've been wanting to do so this will be great.