Help me build a new shop.

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
oklahoma red

Re: Help me build a new shop.

Post by oklahoma red »

LatakiaLover wrote:Image
Ah yes, a great time had by all.
I'm in center front, sandwiched between the lovely C. Kent Joyce and Seamonster who traveled all the way from Washington state. Lonesome George and Premal were the only hairless faces in the bunch. :lol:
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

Coming up a year later, I'm still saying "oh hey, here's a trick I learned in Tyler's shop..." so good

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
taharris

Post by taharris »

It would be a lot easier to see the shop without all of your ugly mugs in the way!

I'm sorry I missed it.

Todd
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

taharris wrote:It would be a lot easier to see the shop without all of your ugly mugs in the way!

I'm sorry I missed it.

Todd
Tyler's house has a three car garage. He made the single his shop. Sitting height work surface extends from the doorway around to Steve's left shoulder. Also at that point is the all-important cigar humidor. Right about at Jason's left is where his shaping and buffing motor is located, under the work surface. Dust collector is under same bench. TV for watching OU games (must have) is in right-rear corner. Air compressor is outside, next to rear door. Copper piping visible over door. Band saw is to the left of the blast cabinet. Where Judah is standing is briar storage and mini-fridge for various libations.
What have I missed Tyler?
Forgot to mention that Mr. Vermont Freehand, Steve Norse traveled probably the longest distance and helped sponsor this event.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Facial hair appears to be de rigueur.
2 hold outs.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
Massis

Post by Massis »

Sasquatch wrote: There's hardly any "legwork" in pipes, it's not like you are losing time walking a 1/2 mile out to to a shed for briar - so the whole thing is inside of like, 200 square feet.
Speak for yourself, I have to walk out 150ft out to my 2nd workshop, open up door 1 and switch on the compressor and then open up door 2 to get into the actual shop to do my sandblasting.

That's the downside of having a tiny (8x12ft) shop: you have to build another one once you want to sandblast stuff. So now I have a 20x13ft garden shed of which 10x13ft is workshop and the compressor (and eventually dust collector) are in the other half (along with lawnmower, bikes, wheelbarrows, ...) . This one is ment for my sandblasting setup, big wood lathe and hopefully soon a sawing table and a jointer/planer.

This is shop 1:

And this is the workshop half of shop 2:
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Massis, I like the dental light you have set up. Those things will really help a person see things better.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
taharris

Post by taharris »

smokindawg wrote:Massis, I like the dental light you have set up. Those things will really help a person see things better.
Me too. I am finding that as I get older I want more and more light.

I am considering one of those magnifying glass light combos for finish work.

Todd
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I have one of those magnifying lights from Otto Frei, but tend to use it for just for the light.
I am converting the lights over the bench to the LED type which give better light and are cooler than regular incandescent bulbs.
I find strong light to be indispensable for this work.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
Massis

Post by Massis »

smokindawg wrote:Massis, I like the dental light you have set up. Those things will really help a person see things better.
Dont bother getting one.

Mine is not even wired anymore. While they are extremely versatile and give a TON of light, they are made to lighten a workspace the size of a human mouth without shining into the person's eyes. That means you have a 2x2" area of light, and nothing next to that.
Add to that that they are very expensive, use a lot of power, take up a lot of space and the lights burn only for about 100 hours, and they're not worth it.

Just drop by ikea, get a couple of IKEA TERTIAL lights and screw in some 600Lumen LED bulbs. Those will last forever and cost only a fraction!

The only reason I ever got one is the fact that my father in law is a dentist and had one lying around which he doesn't use :-)
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I always forget about light, because I made my shop so bright and now take it for granted. 6500K bulbs in the ceiling fixtures and at each station are ideal. Being able to see the full spectrum is really helpful with colors. I use the Ikea lamps over my buffer and desk so I can move it around. They're not great, but they weren't expensive and they're holding up fine so far. I hard-wired an array of 6 T-8 (two bulbs each) fixtures in the ceiling and mounted another one over each of the lathes. The thing about having all the light is it makes the place very happy to be in, even if the weather is gray or if it's dark outside.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Without the ugly stuff in the way.
Attachments
00AEDC00-1F54-40DE-99F5-8E50532FB1C1.jpeg
(1.95 MiB) Downloaded 8 times
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Tyler is a true pipe wizard, he works upside down! :lol:
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Ha! I stand corrected. The pic is now right-side-up so I guess he is mortal after all. :lol: