Help me build a new shop.

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
taharris

Help me build a new shop.

Post by taharris »

I will soon be moving into a new home with a perfect place to build a new workshop.

I am looking for good layout ideas.

Please send me pictures of your shop and let me know what you like about them and what you would change if you could.

Thanks,

Todd
Sasquatch

Re: Help me build a new shop.

Post by Sasquatch »

You will never have my shop layout secrets.

Never!

Hope this helps.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
taharris

Post by taharris »

Thanks Sas.

As usual, your comments are somewhat underwhelming.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Todd
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Tyler B. and some others swear by a completely seat-height setup, where you roll between stations in a desk chair. They say no one ever goes back to standing after trying it.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
taharris

Post by taharris »

I hadn't even considered that.

May be worth some thought.

Todd
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Give him a call.

He hosted a carver's workshop IN his workshop last October, and everyone "got it" and liked it really quickly. Says he was turned on to the concept by Todd Johnson (I'm 95% sure it was TJ, anyway).
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

At 72 my sitter is wrecked. My stuff is set up to stand or occasionally perch on a high stool. I also have a buckling asphalt floor in a car port so that rolling anywhere is generally a non starter. I do have some ideas on placing tools that might give you some ideas for your work areas, I can send photos of those.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
taharris

Post by taharris »

DocAitch wrote:At 72 my sitter is wrecked. My stuff is set up to stand or occasionally perch on a high stool. I also have a buckling asphalt floor in a car port so that rolling anywhere is generally a non starter. I do have some ideas on placing tools that might give you some ideas for your work areas, I can send photos of those.
DocAitch
I would love to see your photos.

Thanks
taharris

Post by taharris »

DocAitch wrote:At 72 my sitter is wrecked. My stuff is set up to stand or occasionally perch on a high stool. I also have a buckling asphalt floor in a car port so that rolling anywhere is generally a non starter. I do have some ideas on placing tools that might give you some ideas for your work areas, I can send photos of those.
DocAitch
I would love to see your photos.

Thanks
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I will get on that this evening.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

LatakiaLover wrote:Tyler B. and some others swear by a completely seat-height setup, where you roll between stations in a desk chair. They say no one ever goes back to standing after trying it.
I also like to sit for working on as many tools as possible, only exception being the lathe. In a future shop I would like to have a sit down buffing station too.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I'll stand - everything in my shop is on high benches, like worktop 38" then the tool.

If I could design a "whatever you want" shop space, I'd put my compressor in it's own room insulated for sound, and do the same with my dust collector (not the same room as the compressor just cuz of the micro-dust).

There's hardly any "legwork" in pipes, it's not like you are losing time walking a 1/2 mile out to to a shed for briar - so the whole thing is inside of like, 200 square feet.

I have a "U" of stuff around the table saw, which is the center of my shop (because I do other stuff than pipes - a consideration for you?). On the "out" side of the table saw is a 4x8 table top, for outfeed support ostensibly, but basically it holds pipe making junk most of the time, whatever stains are in play, small tools.

Left of the table saw on a bench is 2 sanding belt machines, a 1" and a 2", lots of stem work and some rough shaping. Past the outfeed table, back wall of the shop is a bench with a small drill press (buffing), a small wood lathe (wood lathe stuff) and a small bandsaw. Pretty compact. Right of this a metal lathe, and right of that, going around the U, a large drill press station. I shape with discs on the wood lathe, dust collection on both sides of it - works nice.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

With less in the way of "this thing's already here", I'd tuck the d.c. and compressor in some kind of walled in corner in the bottom right, I guess.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I have both compressor and dust collector in a closet next to the shop that I built and sound-proofed (or at least put sound-efficient insulation in). I suppose it's not ideal to have them both in the same closet, but at least I don't have to wear ear plugs in my shop. I have 3 bathroom fans to exhaust the air and dust from the closet and reduce heat. The main rule I have in my shop is the heavy dust-generating tools stay away from the finishing workbench. I pretty much only sit at the finishing workbench and have the buffers right next to the bench. I will say if you set up your shop with dust collection in mind and plenty of outlets for 110 and 220, you'll be fairly flexible.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
dogcatcher

Post by dogcatcher »

I have an 8x12 portable building. I added a U shape benches that covers the 8 foot wall and 8 foot on each side of the 12 foot walls. I am disabled, cannot walk without a walker or something to hang on to. So all of my equipment is set up so that I can sit on or lean against bar stools.

If you go the portable building route, I found that it is cheaper to buy than to build. The materials at our local Lowes and Home Depot were as much as a ready built building. All I had to do was add the benches, electric and particle board walls.
taharris

Post by taharris »

These are fantastic ideas.

I am thinking that I want to stand for stem shaping with files (better leverage) and some hand sanding using a vice.

But sitting for fine sanding and finishing sounds like a good idea.

What is a good material to use foe sound proofing?

Keep the ideas coming. This is great.

Todd
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Old carpet is the cheapest sound-proofing membrane, but acoustical tiles work well, drywall and safe-n-sound (roxul) insulation is effective.....
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

George is correct that TJ’s shop inspired mine. I do about 90% of pipe making sitting down with all my tools within about 4’ of me at any given moment. I’d claim it’s efficiemt, but at three pipes a year my credibility might be stretched. :D
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

For soundproofing, I got insulation from a hardware store that fit between studs, but it's kinda like a cotton/jeans shred thing. Regular insulation will work, but not as well. I can carry on a normal conversation just the other side of my dust collector and compressor running.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »