Chicago reports anyone,anyone???

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
pipeguy

Chicago reports anyone,anyone???

Post by pipeguy »

Let's hear it
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
sandahlpipe

Re: Chicago reports anyone,anyone???

Post by sandahlpipe »

The show went fairly well for me. Sold a few pipes, met a lot of first-time pipe show attendees. I heard from some others that the show was slower than it has been. I think the demographics were different than in the past. A lot fewer of the hipster/YouTube crowd. And I think some people weren't as happy to be there as in the past, when the tobacco samples were free and plentiful. Paying to sample is a bit of a downer. And I think it dampened the mood of some of the people at the show. Add to that the extra tables they added, and some people didn't even make it to the other side of the room until the second day.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

Wow, that sucks how much did they pay for samples(definitely a downer)
As far as hipster/YouTube's that is a mixed blessing.Mabry a sign that people are coming to there scences.
It's been my experience that they bring everything but there wallet.at least they didn't stay at your table for hours and waste your time.
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

This was my first pipe show ever, so I can't make a comparison.
There were thousands of beautiful, well crafted pipes there, and it was difficult to focus.
I spent Wed and Thursday at the pipe making class. I had a little trepidation because I have made a pipe or two, but it was extremely valuable, especially with finishing. The guys who ran the class were extremely helpful. Mike Bucera was great.The bonus was that I got to meet Teddy Knudsen and Tom Eltang. I also drove through Columbus OH and spent some hours with Premal Chheda on Monday.
I got to meet a number of the participants in this forum, and it was great to put faces to names. Jeremiah was extremely gracious and critiqued a couple of pipes that I had with me. I also met Scottie Piersel, Scott Thiele, Nate King, Brandon Brooks, Joe Hinkle, and caught up with Jason Thompson and Mike Thomas. I also met Steve Norse and bought some materials from VF.
I learned so much that I felt like I was drinking from a firehose.
I slipped in a trip to Iwan Reis on Monday.
I had a great time, and spent way too much money.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

The show was great for me. I sold all but 4 pipes. Not bad seeing as I started with 29. I won the Women's Division in the Slow Smoke contest. I beat out Manduela and Rie (one of them has won it for past 9 years) to bring the title back home to 'Murica. My time was 33:59.

I got to meet quite a few new people and put faces to a bunch of names, like Doc. Going home on Sunday night is always hard but it was good to get home and see my kiddos
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
mredmond
Site Supporter

Post by mredmond »

I had fun and sales were good. Most of the pipe makers that I talked to did well and all around it seemed like a good show.

Anybody upset about having to spend a quarter on a tobacco sample isn't looking at the bigger picture. The margins on pipe tobacco are pretty small, I'd imagine, especially at pipe shows where most manufacturers sell through a local retailer because of tax and licensing issues. Feel good about supporting the companies that enable your hobby is what I say.

Re: hipsters, it would be in all our best interests to not assume that every person we see at a pipe show that is young, has a different sense of style, etc, is a clown. There are plenty of old, "experienced pipemen" that are clowns, too. Many of the "hipsters" can grow into legitimate, long term collectors if we encourage them and don't run them off. It's necessary for long term sustainability. There are a number of folks in this industry/hobby that have a significant positive impact that would get called hipster by folks who don't know them. Also, as a guy who has a beard and tattoos and wears nice shoes and combs his hair and doesn't go out in public in pajamas and a fishing vest, and who has been that way for a long time, all the hipster talk is getting tiresome. Encourage the young guys in the direction of quality instead of constantly telling them to get off your lawn on the internet.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I never meant the hipster crowd as an insult, just an observation.

And I'm all for supporting manufacturers, but it's the reminder of the FDA that sucks. And I think that dampened the mood some compared with past years.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
PeskyPrussian

Post by PeskyPrussian »

Had a fantastic time at the show. Met a whole bunch of pipe makers this year now that I have a much better working knowledge of pipes and pipe making in general to be able to have relatively informed conversations with them. Met Jeremiah and Premal briefly and a bunch of other people.
Drank whisky and shared decades old tobacco around a table with the likes of John David Cole and a bunch of old friends from the Michigan pipe community. Got to see Father the Flame, which was fantastic.

While standing at Nate King and Jason Thompson's table my friend made an offhand comment how he couldn't possibly afford one of the pipes he wanted and that his wife would kill him if he bought it. Nate offered to call his wife to help convince her since he's "kind of a big deal" in the pipe world. Then mentioned that he would trade for sexual favors instead, the conversation descending into hilarity from there. Nate is a riot, would love to have a beer with him some day. Can't wait for next year.

Perhaps one of these years I'll have some pipes to sell, who knows.
Adam Bybee
bybee_pipes - instagram
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Don't believe everything Nate says, he still owes me sexual favours!
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Here in the US, we do favors without u.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

mredmond wrote:I had fun and sales were good. Most of the pipe makers that I talked to did well and all around it seemed like a good show.
Re: hipsters, it would be in all our best interests to not assume that every person we see at a pipe show that is young, has a different sense of style, etc, is a clown. all the hipster talk is getting tiresome.
paraphrased the quote, but i agree with the post as a whole. I have been accused of being a "hipster" at shows. sometimes in jest, and sometimes as a jab. It's frustrating, because it isnt really me. I struggle with the line between professionalism and individuality. Im actually more comfortable in a button up and dress pants,as ive spent that majority of the last 7 years living in black slacks, but that doesnt really describe my personality.

As for the show, it was different, but the same. Met some great people. Hung out with some old friends. Attendance might have been down a bit, but those that showed up looked more like the crowd from a few years ago. Maybe the bubble is bursting and pipes are settling into the shadows again. Sales seemed good for a lot of people. The buyers seemed to be picking both ends of the price spectrum, but not the middle. Well established guys sold out by the end, and value priced QUALITY pipes were moving.

I've had discussions with other pipe makers, and their views vary, but it seemed the wholesale retailers were being super selective. especially the overseas buyers. I dont know if that indicates a slower market, or buyers trying to invest in carvers that are guaranteed to be around in the future.

I'll continue to go to Chicago for the sheer entertainment value. Selling pipes is nice, but its just such a great group of people to hang out with. I cant explain it, but its as comfortable as i'll ever be around several hundred other humans.