The French

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
pipeguy

The French

Post by pipeguy »

Hi all happy Sat. I am very curious of all your thoughts on this subject.The French (Saint Claude)
Is synonymous with production pipemaking.We all know the production vs. Handmade argument
(Its not really much of one) However the French IMHO.have revolutionized pipemaking by how we as makers
Think and make our pipes in small ways. For the most part. There has never been a problem that we have run into
that the French haven't run into. What fascinates me is what they have done or made to overcome the obstacle.
For me it's the machinery or jigs they have made for mundane repetitive but important steps in the making process. I have
Shamelessly copied or straight out stole ideas for jigs and stuff I use for my hand finished line that helps me make an affordable we'll made pipe Just curious if any of you have taken anything away from the French example..
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
oklahoma red

Re: The French

Post by oklahoma red »

I cannot say that the French have influenced me in any way from a design standpoint. However, I've always been a gadget guy and their manufacturing techniques and the machines they came up with have always fascinated me. A lot of those machines from decades ago are still in use in various places all over Europe. They are all heavy cast iron machines and will last forever if cared for. Trever Talbert sent me some pics of some of the equipment he brought with him when he moved back to the US. Ingenious machines. I've been told that Tim West has some also.
One thing is for sure, OSHA would nail your hide to the wall if you were to try and set up a facility using these machines here in the US. The frazing machines are really scary.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

I no nothing!!! :mrgreen:
brunonut

Post by brunonut »

These machines work fine and are indeed very ingenious. I use several for many operations. Drill chambers, shanks and stems, adjust the tenons, stems ans shanks, etc etc... With the good tools, these machines can do many things.

this one in blue has more than hundred years (and 275 lbs) and it works as well as the first day

ImageImageImage

oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

brunonut wrote:These machines work fine and are indeed very ingenious. I use several for many operations. Drill chambers, shanks and stems, adjust the tenons, stems ans shanks, etc etc... With the good tools, these machines can do many things.

this one in blue has more than hundred years (and 275 lbs) and it works as well as the first day

ImageImageImage

I WANT ONE!
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

Red,just head over to Saint Claude while
The weather is still warm.you can buys lot of stuff
There for short money or fair money
It's just getting it back here that makes it cost prohibitive
WhenI went over there I could have gotten
The second machine pictured with Bruno
For about $500. About $1500. To ship
Wow
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

pipeguy wrote:Red,just head over to Saint Claude while
The weather is still warm.you can buys lot of stuff
There for short money or fair money
It's just getting it back here that makes it cost prohibitive
WhenI went over there I could have gotten
The second machine pictured with Bruno
For about $500. About $1500. To ship
Wow
Carry-on luggage?
Charl

Post by Charl »

Beautiful!
Massis

Post by Massis »

Hmz, St Claude is a 6 hour drive from here, I actually spent the night an hour away last week, but had no chance of stopping by :-(