2016 GKCPC Carvers Contest

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Re: 2016 GKCPC Carvers Contest

Post by Tyler »

Whooo boy, the benefits of being, "famous among pipe makers who are online," (according to the aforementioned P&T issue, in the article about Grant) is such an amazing burden to carry. The bowing, the paparazzi, it's a lot.

In other news, everyone should come to my house next month.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Tyler wrote:Whooo boy, the benefits of being, "famous among pipe makers who are online," (according to the aforementioned P&T issue, in the article about Grant) is such an amazing burden to carry. The bowing, the paparazzi, it's a lot.
That said...

There's a huge difference between fanboy-style bullshit and actually accomplishing things in the real world.

I can understand your dismissing the former, but I think you are vastly underrating the significance of the latter.

I know EXACTLY what is required to do well in the KC contest, and there's not a wisp of fluff, politics, publicity, or friend-making involved anywhere. It is the real deal. And in that harshest of competitive environments, an absurdly high percentage of its winners got their start on this board. End of story. That fact is easily proved with a cruise through the archives.

And the guy who founded the board and has devoted uncounted hours to it for a decade is you, Tyler.

(It is true that had this forum never been started, ANOTHER one probably would have been---the need was there---but that's irrelevant. There wasn't. And the work to create and maintain this one was done entirely by you.)

So, take your goddam bow like a man and quitcher bitchin' :lol:

In other news, everyone should come to my house next month.
Between all the earthquakes 'n' naders 'n' Oklahoma Red, I think people might be a bit skittish.

Lettin' 'em know how close the nearest Onion Burger joint is might help 'em get past that, though:

http://www.tuckersonionburgers.com/
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I've been checking out P&T but not found anything about this years winners.
Does anybody have a link?
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

DocAitch wrote:I've been checking out P&T but not found anything about this years winners.
Does anybody have a link?
DocAitch
Ok, I'll ask. Are you a subscriber? You've obviously not received the latest issue that has the story and the pictures. You can subscribe to the digital edition if you want to save a tree. Hard copy is $28.00 a year (4 issues), digital is $19.95. Either will get you access to past issues.
In my opinion their website needs an overhaul as I consider it a bit of a stinker to navigate.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Thanks, will subscribe.
DA
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy