PITH 2018!!!!

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.

PITH shape

Poll ended at Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:31 am

Ivarsson Tribute
22%
Bamboo
No votes
Briar Calabash
6%
Author
22%
Not round shank w/cap
6%
Pencil shank
6%
Cavalier
6%
Live edge plataeux
No votes
Wolfsteiner theme
6%
Lovat w/acrylic stem
No votes
Dublin
No votes
Oom Paul
No votes
Bent bulldog
No votes
Pipe on the PMF homepage
11%
Nosewarmer
11%
Reverse Calabash
6%

Total votes: 18

RickB

Re: PITH 2018!!!!

Post by RickB »

scotties22 wrote:
RickB wrote:Also @Scottie, that pipe is amazing. Just so crisp and clean.
That's what 40+ hours of work looks like for me, lol. They take me less than a quarter of that time now, but that one was a killer. Well worth it though. I learned more making that pipe than I had in the entire year before. It was definitely a breakthrough for me.
That's awesome - I felt like that about my first billiard, and am hoping that if I recapture that feeling a few more times maybe I'll end up making some decent pipes. 40+ hours to make the hands down best author period is time well spent IMO.
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

scotties22 wrote:Also, you know that "spin the stem" trick while you are sanding to keep things round. I can't do that with my Authors. There is always more taken off the bottom line of the shank than the top. It's necessary to achieve that reverse S curve that you are looking for in an Author.

Here's a secret for free......I always bend my Authors 23 degrees. No more, no less. ;-)
Okay, this is helpful, as I was thinking to take more off the TOP of the shank,
but hearing that, and looking at it, taking more off the bottom shank looks much nicer. Cool, thanks.
And the bit about shaping the stem is super helpful too.

Thanks a ton, Scottie, don't go away.
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

RickB wrote:
seamonster wrote:Still not able to see it?
I can see it now - that's looking nice man! I think more taper (starting at the transition) would help it out, and the stem looks potentially a little long to me, but that might not be the case as much if it were slimmed down a bit. FWIW I like the bend amount (even if it's technically "overbent") and the shape of bowl looks pretty pleasing to my eye.
Obligatory huge rock of salt because I know I don't know shit :lol:

Hmm, stem length is a good point. I agree with you, I was thinking that the stem and stummel should be more or less the same length, but I was worried that with the extra bend, shortening up the stem would make it look nose-warmer-y and kinda cartoony. So I opted for a little longer. But I think you're right, it's too long. And I think it will look even longer if I thin it out. Thanks for the feedback!
RickB

Post by RickB »

seamonster wrote:Thanks for the feedback!
Absolutely man, we're all in this together and you helped me out big time over on instagram. The thing is, I do really like how that pipe is shaping up, even if it doesn't neatly fit into the author box.
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Updated with orange line:

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

LatakiaLover wrote:Updated with orange line:

George,
you are amazing,
a wizard with the digi-line,
and your taste in music doesn't suck either....

.... but you gotta help the colorblind guy out!
How bout some nice blue lines??

Sent from my bloopty-bloop, using hooty-hoo.
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

RickB wrote:
seamonster wrote:Thanks for the feedback!
Absolutely man, we're all in this together and you helped me out big time over on instagram. The thing is, I do really like how that pipe is shaping up, even if it doesn't neatly fit into the author box.
Yeah man, that's the cool thing about so many pipe makers I have met. So happy to share. It's wicked.

AND, the author is a straight up dog to catch, I'm finding it pretty elusive.... once I think I've got one line, I lose track of another....

I have a feeling I'm gonna make 5 or 6 for this PITH.... no prob, I'll be okay with smoking this one.... the grain is righteous.

Sent from my bloopty-bloop, using hooty-hoo.
MrGuy

Post by MrGuy »

pmbattles wrote:@RickB What about a half saddle? Leaving a taper on the bottom half so as to continue the bottom line but the put a saddle on the top half to thin the stem down?
I don’t know if that would qualify as “correct”, but I bet that would look pretty awesome!
Andy
RickB

Post by RickB »

Okay so here are my rough sketches, still very much in the planning stages while I wrap up the other pipes I'm working on. Still looking at trying to figure out doing a saddle of some sort, but here's the question: do either of these still read as authors, or are they moving into more like chubby apple territory?
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Either your bowl is too tall or you're shank isn't fat enough. What's the dimensions?
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
RickB

Post by RickB »

scotties22 wrote:Either your bowl is too tall or you're shank isn't fat enough. What's the dimensions?
It'd be a 3/4" chamber, so the bottom one's bowl is 1.75" front to back, 1.5" tall, shank would be 3/4" where it meets the stem. Overall length as sketched is a bit over 4.5".
Also I have huge hands and am pretty sure every pipe I make is too big. :thumbsup:
Secondary thought: does the shank need to be circular to be right, or is an oval allowable within spec?
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Your shank needs to be around 7/8" at the stem for it to look right. As is, it looks a bit bowl heavy and the shank is too skinny.

Your bowl dimensions are correct and the bowl shape looks good. Erase the mortise and top line of the shank. Remeasure to make the shank 7/8" at the stem and then redraw your mortise.

Take the ring and fancy stem off the pipe. Authors have a tapered stem and no ring. You can get away with a saddle with some people. I'm a purist so I say tapers only.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
RickB

Post by RickB »

Understood. I'll redraw when I can and post it again. Thank you so much for your help!
RickB

Post by RickB »

RickB wrote:Understood. I'll redraw when I can and post it again. Thank you so much for your help!
As promised:

Tried to take what you'd said and to also make them thicker through the shank as well as tightening everything up a bit, though I'm fairly sure I might've gone too fat. Also in looking at these now, I'm wondering if the shanks/stems on all of them wouldn't benefit by being stretched maybe another 1/2-1" longer and in easing the bends somewhat. Top one looks a little kinked, bottom one looks too tightly compressed, middle one maybe just needs more length through the shank/stem? Am I getting closer?

And apologies for the slowness, the Mrs. celebrated International Women's Day last week by blasting out our 9lb 12oz son in the back of an ambulance on the side of the road (like a champ!) in the wee hours of the morning, and it turns out everyone was right about two kids being exponentially harder than one :lol:
Bluesytone

Post by Bluesytone »

RickB wrote:
RickB wrote:....and it turns out everyone was right about two kids being exponentially harder than one :lol:
Well congrats on the new farm Hand!

Don’t be dismayed, as soon as they are old enough to keep each other occupied, you will be able to get some time to rearrange your Tobacco cellar :lol:
my mouth is the marketing department for the circus in my head
RickB

Post by RickB »

Bluesytone wrote:
RickB wrote:
RickB wrote:....and it turns out everyone was right about two kids being exponentially harder than one :lol:
Well congrats on the new farm Hand!

Don’t be dismayed, as soon as they are old enough to keep each other occupied, you will be able to get some time to rearrange your Tobacco cellar :lol:
Thank ya! yeah he's actually been really easy, just a minor sleep tax.
Our 3 1/2 year old is understandably handling things less well.
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

RickB wrote:
RickB wrote:Understood. I'll redraw when I can and post it again. Thank you so much for your help!
As promised:

I think you could stretch a bit.... but my vote would be take the shank in the center, bang on the stem on the bottom,
stretch just a skootch, and you've got a winner.

And congrats on the expanding family.... I wish I could say it gets easier, but my almost 9 and almost 4
tax my free-time still, and they both like to be in the shop with me.......
Massis

Post by Massis »

I might have to drop out again this year. Still have 3 other pipes I'm finishing and a commission waiting, and I tore a ligament in my hand so making pipes will be very hard at least for the next month...

But there's still time, so we'll see...
RickB

Post by RickB »

seamonster wrote:I think you could stretch a bit.... but my vote would be take the shank in the center, bang on the stem on the bottom,
stretch just a skootch, and you've got a winner.
Awesome, thank you. I'll redraw again when I find a few minutes and maybe I'll have something to roll with.
seamonster wrote:And congrats on the expanding family.... I wish I could say it gets easier, but my almost 9 and almost 4
tax my free-time still, and they both like to be in the shop with me.......
Thank you :D my solution with one kiddo was to wake up at 5:10 on weekends and have shop time until everyone else woke up. Baby sleeping habits TBD so we'll see if that holds out. Also fortunate enough to work from home 4x a week, so I can squeeze a little time in here and there.