Chicago 2018

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
PeskyPrussian

Chicago 2018

Post by PeskyPrussian »

Hello Guys and Gals,

So, I know it's only January but time moves quick and my thoughts have turned to this year's Chicago show. I've been going to the show for several years now, but this year my goal is to try and approach the show more from the perspective of a pipe maker. I'm going to have a batch of pipes ready to show around and hopefully get some good critiques on and perhaps sell, if there's any interest.

The show itself is Saturday/Sunday, but there's also the swap show on Friday and several other events even earlier in the week. My question to the real live pipe makers is, when do you plan on showing up the week of the show? Are there any meetups for PMF members or pipe makers in general going on either earlier in the week or during the show which would be appropriate for someone like me? I would love to be able to get to know some more members of this community and talk about pipe making with people in the same room who are just as interested (believe me, my wife can only pretend to care for a minute or so at a time).

Anyhow, can't wait to get back to Chi-town and hope to see some of you there.

Adam
Adam Bybee
bybee_pipes - instagram
sandahlpipe

Re: Chicago 2018

Post by sandahlpipe »

I'll probably be there sometime Thursday. I usually pack up and head out Sunday. The whole show is one giant meetup for me. Pipe-making wise, my best learning experience was walking up to Bruce Weaver a few years ago and hearing him rip me a new one. That, and Walt Cannoy telling me how to take what I had and make a pipe instead of lumpy turds. But it just came from me walking up to a maker at his table at the show and asking him to look at my work when he wasn't with a potential customer.

So maybe it doesn't really answer the question you're asking, but I think it answers what you're looking for. That is, just walk up and ask somebody. As long as they're not with a customer, I've found pipe makers to be quite willing to share thoughts. Sunday mornings tend to be a slow start in my experience.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

I'll be there Thursday sometime, through Monday morning. Feel free to find me amidst the craziness.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I'll be there Thursday through Monday morning for sure. Trying to decide if I'm gonna come in on Wednesday or not
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I plan on being there for the swap meet. Last year I went to the pipe making class and learned some stuff, but, having seen your work, I doubt that you would get much out of making a pipe from a predrilled kit. It was neat to meet and talk to the pipe makers who run the class. Teddy Knudsen and Tom Eltang stopped by to chat.
I also met a number of folks with whom I have corresponded on the forum, and showed a couple of my own pipes to various people.
Jeremiah looked at a couple of mine and was very gentle.
We should arrange to meet up.
Maybe I will wear a big name tag.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

I'll be there from Wednesday through Monday.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

The Vermont Freehand store will be open Tuesday to Tuesday and attracts every maker in the industry, be sure to stop through various times of day and night and see different groups of makers all at once. We are conveniently located behind the elevators to the tower, next to the pro-shop and bar
mightysmurf8201

Vermont Freehand wrote:The Vermont Freehand store will be open Tuesday to Tuesday and attracts every maker in the industry, be sure to stop through various times of day and night and see different groups of makers all at once. We are conveniently located behind the elevators to the tower, next to the pro-shop and bar
Still waiting to see an iron throne made of briar blocks. :)
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
JMG

Post by JMG »

I was hoping it was going to work for me to come up this year, but no-go. One of these years, though.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
JMG

Post by JMG »

Well, things changed and have worked out so that I will be at the show this year. Looking forward to meeting some of you guys.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Looking forward to meeting you!
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
mightysmurf8201

JMG wrote:Well, things changed and have worked out so that I will be at the show this year. Looking forward to meeting some of you guys.
:thumbsup: We'll see you there!
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano