pipemakersforum.com

The original forum for pipe makers on the web
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Shape or feature for PITH 2017
Poll ended at Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:31 pm
Rustication 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Calabash 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Oval Shank 27%  27%  [ 4 ]
Bamboo 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Teardrop Shank with cap 27%  27%  [ 4 ]
Pencil Shank 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 15
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: PITH 2017!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:44 pm
Posts: 646
Location: Port Huron, MI
Bniesen wrote:
I'm in if there is room, i'll get started this weekend.

There is plenty of room, and you are most welcome. You are in!

_________________
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
http://www.atilanopipes.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PITH 2017!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:44 pm
Posts: 646
Location: Port Huron, MI
PremalChheda wrote:
themanredbeard wrote:
I'm in if it's still open. I'll get an oval shank made asap. (I also still have one left from Chicago so...) :twisted:


Take your time and make one the best you can. This is a good exercise for the experienced to guide and the novice to learn while in the process of making. I'm not so sure of providing a pipe that was already made. I would like to see participation regardless of skill level.


I concur. The PITH is intended to be a part of one's journey towards mastering the skill of pipe making. I prefer we don't set any precedents that can be exploited down the road, i.e. offloading pipes that won't sell, and such. Not accusing anyone of anything, and it hasn't happened yet that I know of, just thinking ahead. Kinda my job to steer this crazy bus in the right direction. :)

_________________
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
http://www.atilanopipes.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PITH 2017!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:35 am
Posts: 405
Location: Chongqing, China
I'm going to have to withdraw from this year's PITH. To make a long story short, I have moved back to the USA from China, and haven't had the time or space to make pipes.

Good luck everyone, and I look forward to seeing your completed pipes!

Kiel


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
kamkiel@hotmail.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PITH 2017!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:03 pm
Posts: 1124
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA
kamkiel wrote:
I'm going to have to withdraw from this year's PITH. To make a long story short, I have moved back to the USA from China, and haven't had the time or space to make pipes.

Good luck everyone, and I look forward to seeing your completed pipes!

Kiel


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Where at in the USA?

_________________
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com
http://www.smokershaven.com

Before the battle begins in a game of chess.
"I am going to defeat you with my left hand!" - Arvind Shamji Chheda


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PITH 2017!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:35 am
Posts: 405
Location: Chongqing, China
PremalChheda wrote:
kamkiel wrote:
I'm going to have to withdraw from this year's PITH. To make a long story short, I have moved back to the USA from China, and haven't had the time or space to make pipes.

Good luck everyone, and I look forward to seeing your completed pipes!

Kiel


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Where at in the USA?


I am right near the Wisconsin border in a town called Richmond.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
kamkiel@hotmail.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PITH 2017!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:37 am
Posts: 115
Location: Madison Heights, Virginia
Hey guys and gals,

I am hoping to be able to get my pipe done in time. Do we have a specific date in mind for when we would like to do the exchange?

I haven't had a lot of time in the shop lately, as over the last month I changed jobs, planned a wedding, and got married. All of these things have limited my time in the shop. I am hoping to have a nice pipe done in time to participate, but may have to back out if I can't get it done in time.

_________________
R.Branigan Pipes


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PITH 2017!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:36 pm
Posts: 363
Location: Colorado Springs, Co
kamkiel wrote:
PremalChheda wrote:
kamkiel wrote:
I'm going to have to withdraw from this year's PITH. To make a long story short, I have moved back to the USA from China, and haven't had the time or space to make pipes.

Good luck everyone, and I look forward to seeing your completed pipes!

Kiel


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Where at in the USA?


I am right near the Wisconsin border in a town called Richmond.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Hey welcome back, I hope it was a positive change.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PITH 2017!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:44 pm
Posts: 646
Location: Port Huron, MI
Rbraniganpipes wrote:
Hey guys and gals,

I am hoping to be able to get my pipe done in time. Do we have a specific date in mind for when we would like to do the exchange?

I haven't had a lot of time in the shop lately, as over the last month I changed jobs, planned a wedding, and got married. All of these things have limited my time in the shop. I am hoping to have a nice pipe done in time to participate, but may have to back out if I can't get it done in time.

We're aiming for the end of July.

_________________
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
http://www.atilanopipes.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PITH 2017!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:15 am
Posts: 90
Location: Atlanta, GA
PremalChheda wrote:
themanredbeard wrote:
I'm in if it's still open. I'll get an oval shank made asap. (I also still have one left from Chicago so...) :twisted:


Take your time and make one the best you can. This is a good exercise for the experienced to guide and the novice to learn while in the process of making. I'm not so sure of providing a pipe that was already made. I would like to see participation regardless of skill level.

Premal and others. Still working through attempts at a good oval shank. Learning a lot...but haven't completed one yet. I figured I would post this here. If I'm looking to use files as suggested, what kinds would you suggest? Pics helpful too. I've used a rough file/rasp to shape as well as a 100 grit emery board. Thanks, Tom Cobb

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

_________________
"I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new." ~ Robert W. Service


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PITH 2017!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:05 am
Posts: 783
I'm going to have to drop out... again... :-(

Building a new workshop has taken up soo much time that I haven't finished a pipe in months, and I've got 4 pipes in progress, all spoken for, none of which have an oval shank :p

_________________
Website: http://www.massispipes.com
Instagram : http://instagram.com/massispipes
Twitter: https://twitter.com/MassisPipes
Facebook: https://facebook.com/MassisPipes


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PITH 2017!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:03 pm
Posts: 1124
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA
BriarShrink wrote:
PremalChheda wrote:
themanredbeard wrote:
I'm in if it's still open. I'll get an oval shank made asap. (I also still have one left from Chicago so...) :twisted:


Take your time and make one the best you can. This is a good exercise for the experienced to guide and the novice to learn while in the process of making. I'm not so sure of providing a pipe that was already made. I would like to see participation regardless of skill level.

Premal and others. Still working through attempts at a good oval shank. Learning a lot...but haven't completed one yet. I figured I would post this here. If I'm looking to use files as suggested, what kinds would you suggest? Pics helpful too. I've used a rough file/rasp to shape as well as a 100 grit emery board. Thanks, Tom Cobb

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk


Turn oversized a little more than what you want the end of the shank to end up at.
Draw an oval on face then shape down just by the end of the shank.
If you are skilled with disk or belt grind corners to blend where bowl meets keeping a small taper. Bottom line needs to be precise and you can have a bit of a flat if you want it to sit perfect.
Before you go to a wide flat file, get the stem on and match close or even a little smaller than end of shank.
File at about a 45 degree angle from stem to bowl and under bowl keeping very steady hand controls .
When you have it all matched up to drawing flip 180 and match. Check for diagnosis corners being even then fix flip and match again. Should be as close as possible after this if done properly. When sanding you have to keep memory of how much you sand each flip.
Also use something wide and flat like a file to wrap sandpaper around.
There is more to it but it is instinctual procedures that vary person to person and depending on tools and methods.

_________________
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com
http://www.smokershaven.com

Before the battle begins in a game of chess.
"I am going to defeat you with my left hand!" - Arvind Shamji Chheda


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PITH 2017!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:15 am
Posts: 90
Location: Atlanta, GA
Thanks again Premal. Getting closer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

_________________
"I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new." ~ Robert W. Service


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PITH 2017!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:44 am
Posts: 550
To add to Premal's advice, I use a 1/4" Delrin tenon for Canadians and such. This will give you a stronger tenon and a bit more wiggle room while shaping the shank.
DocAitch

_________________
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PITH 2017!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:03 pm
Posts: 1124
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA
DocAitch wrote:
To add to Premal's advice, I use a 1/4" Delrin tenon for Canadians and such. This will give you a stronger tenon and a bit more wiggle room while shaping the shank.
DocAitch


IAWD

_________________
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com
http://www.smokershaven.com

Before the battle begins in a game of chess.
"I am going to defeat you with my left hand!" - Arvind Shamji Chheda


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PITH 2017!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:31 pm
Posts: 523
Location: Dorset, Vermont, USA
a quick polish and bowl coat and my entry is ready

Image

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PITH 2017!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:03 pm
Posts: 1124
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA
Please add Robert Vacher to the list. He is waiting on his account to pmf to get confirmed by Tyler so he can't post at the moment

_________________
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com
http://www.smokershaven.com

Before the battle begins in a game of chess.
"I am going to defeat you with my left hand!" - Arvind Shamji Chheda


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PITH 2017!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:30 am
Posts: 50
Location: Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota
Ready to go.

Image

_________________
Eric

http://ericpaulsonpipes.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PITH 2017!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:59 pm
Posts: 20
Location: Detroit, MI
Pipe is finished and ready for the hat!

Question regarding the swapping and critiquing procedure:

Whenever I complete a pipe (at least at this point) I perform as thorough a self-critique as possible, recording every little aesthetic or functional detail that I can improve upon the next time. My initial impression would be to provide this self critique along with the PITH pipe when we perform the swaps, as some people do when they post their stuff to the gallery. I feel like providing a self critique on an online forum helps to orient reviewers to what the maker does or doesn't see so they know what level of critique to provide.

However, someone brought up a good point on the facebook side of the forum that perhaps providing a self critique in a situation like this is not conducive to an independent review. It might color the impression or cast the discussion in a direction that the critic wouldn't otherwise go. Anyone have any opinions regarding this or any other considerations about the pipe swapping?

Thanks!

_________________
Adam Bybee


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PITH 2017!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:23 pm
Posts: 47
My pipe is done and ready for an address to send it to. PeskyPrussian, good points I am curious about this myself.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PITH 2017!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:03 pm
Posts: 1124
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA
PeskyPrussian wrote:
Pipe is finished and ready for the hat!

Question regarding the swapping and critiquing procedure:

Whenever I complete a pipe (at least at this point) I perform as thorough a self-critique as possible, recording every little aesthetic or functional detail that I can improve upon the next time. My initial impression would be to provide this self critique along with the PITH pipe when we perform the swaps, as some people do when they post their stuff to the gallery. I feel like providing a self critique on an online forum helps to orient reviewers to what the maker does or doesn't see so they know what level of critique to provide.

However, someone brought up a good point on the facebook side of the forum that perhaps providing a self critique in a situation like this is not conducive to an independent review. It might color the impression or cast the discussion in a direction that the critic wouldn't otherwise go. Anyone have any opinions regarding this or any other considerations about the pipe swapping?

Thanks!


Either way it works. It is what you are most comfortable with.

_________________
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com
http://www.smokershaven.com

Before the battle begins in a game of chess.
"I am going to defeat you with my left hand!" - Arvind Shamji Chheda


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group