Bamboo Node Decoration...

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
JMG

Bamboo Node Decoration...

Post by JMG »

I've seen a bamboo shank pipe here and there with the larger nodes decorated with some sort of resin beads. Any idea how those are made? I'm working on this weird, curved pipe and was thinking it might be a nice touch for this one.

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
LatakiaLover

Re: Bamboo Node Decoration...

Post by LatakiaLover »

Those things end up falling off way too often to be a good idea (sez me). They also look synthetic instead of organic, and bamboo is nothing if not organic looking. Meaning they spoil the vibe (sez me again).

If you LIKE the idea of doing extra work to create something that looks wrong and will probably fall off sooner or later, though, knock yourself out. :twisted:
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
JMG

Post by JMG »

LatakiaLover wrote:Those things end up falling off way too often to be a good idea (sez me). They also look synthetic instead of organic, and bamboo is nothing if not organic looking. Meaning they spoil the vibe (sez me again).

If you LIKE the idea of doing extra work to create something that looks wrong and will probably fall off sooner or later, though, knock yourself out. :twisted:
George, you came here really just to look at my curvy stem...I know what's going on here.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

I have wondered about that too. I wanted to.experiment with it too. At first I was just going to see if I could use a large glob of epoxy, but scrapped that thought because it would probably be a mess with bad results. I ended up drilling them out enough to put a cap on them. The cap was just some acrylic that I turned down on the lathe to look like dots(the candy). I sure the resin would look better and I hope you get a lead on how to do it.

My next step is to fill it all in with diamonds so I can sell the pipe for a gazillion dollars.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I don't care for them personally. I know some people use them to cover nodes that are a bit pithy, I have that trouble sometimes but I stabalise them with some thin CA glue.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Ditto to what Chris said. Maybe you can get something at a bead shop?
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

I'd watch the jewelry on anything. The Forum has been down that road!!! :twak:
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

pipedreamer wrote:I'd watch the jewelry on anything. The Forum has been down that road!!! :twak:
Definitely something you don't want to get caught messning around with.
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods