Palm...

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
JMG

Palm...

Post by JMG »

Not sure exactly what type of palm this is (red, black, etc...) but I'm in a town called Madang for a couple weeks for a "Discourse Analysis" workshop (sounds real fun, huh?) Anyway, there was a ton of this palm in the firewood pile. I've pulled quite a bit out. Hope to make some tampers with it and bring some back stateside for pipe making. For a stack of firewood I think this was a pretty good find...

Image[/url]
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
sandahlpipe

Re: Palm...

Post by sandahlpipe »

That looks like my black Palm. Really tricky stuff to work with in my experience and prone to cracking in inlays. Also, you've got to watch out for splinters. Aside from that, it looks really cool in finished pieces. The black bits are much harder than the light parts, so sanding can leave the piece bumpy.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
JMG

Post by JMG »

sandahlpipe wrote:That looks like my black Palm. Really tricky stuff to work with in my experience and prone to cracking in inlays. Also, you've got to watch out for splinters. Aside from that, it looks really cool in finished pieces. The black bits are much harder than the light parts, so sanding can leave the piece bumpy.
I worked a bit with it last time I was here in country. It definitely splinters easily, but the times I managed to pull it off it sure was pretty stuff. Since it cost zero bucks I can thankfully afford to muck around a bit with it.

W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

sandahlpipe wrote:Really tricky stuff to work with in my experience and prone to cracking in inlays. Also, you've got to watch out for splinters. Aside from that, it looks really cool in finished pieces. The black bits are much harder than the light parts, so sanding can leave the piece bumpy.
I know that in John's case it's probably not an easily available option, but resin stabilizing solves most of the problems with black palm. The density becomes much more homogeneous, it finishes better and doesn't splinter. So for those of you who don't have an exotic firewood pile, stabilized black palm can be a good option.
JMG

Post by JMG »

W.Pastuch wrote:
sandahlpipe wrote:Really tricky stuff to work with in my experience and prone to cracking in inlays. Also, you've got to watch out for splinters. Aside from that, it looks really cool in finished pieces. The black bits are much harder than the light parts, so sanding can leave the piece bumpy.
I know that in John's case it's probably not an easily available option, but resin stabilizing solves most of the problems with black palm. The density becomes much more homogeneous, it finishes better and doesn't splinter. So for those of you who don't have an exotic firewood pile, stabilized black palm can be a good option.
My buddy that makes the RHOX pipes with me actually made a set up to stabilize some woods so hopefully if I can manage to get some home next time I can stabilize it then. You're right, it does make a huge difference.

sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

It's absolutely a great material to play around with. And it looks really unique when it's finished. Can't wait to see what you do with it.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Keep the tools sharp!!!and you got it!!!
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

I have used the stuff for pens but not pipes. In my experience, as stated above, sharp tools are essential. Try to avoid anything that scrapes. Also, you can apply ca glue frequently throughout the shaping process to hold it together. Before finishing, add a final coat of ca and then sand it back until the only remaining ca is in the low spots. Then finish as you normally would.
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods