any new info on African blackwood

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
kamkiel

any new info on African blackwood

Post by kamkiel »

I started making an African Blackwood pipe for myself. After looking through the archives, I noticed members just suddenly stopped using it. Are there any special reasons people stopped using it?
kamkiel

Re: any new info on African blackwood

Post by kamkiel »

Here's how the pipe looks now. I don't think critiques as necessasry, it already has some mistakes I can't go back on :) If you all want, I can post a picture in this thread when the pipe gets finished.
Attachments
IMG_20150903_170901_1441337313264.jpg
IMG_20150903_170901_1441337313264.jpg (37.31 KiB) Viewed 5460 times
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Blackwood is listed in the wood toxicity database. I think it's potential for allergic reaction is the reason it has gone unused.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Thanks. I figured it was either that, or people were finding the pipes broke easily when smoked or something.

In the archives you can see people were using it more than now. I just thought it was a little strange, especially now that I was gifted a bunch.

Kiel
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I would say it fell out of fashion, or becomes brittle after smoking.

It is listed on the wood toxicity chart. However, it is the same as Olivewood as far as what it affects and potency.

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-artic ... -toxicity/

I can tell you that I have a very bad reaction to olive. After about 30 second of turning I can't breath. The one time I tried to use it I thought I was going to have to go to the ER. I REALLY struggled to breath until the 2 benadryl kicked in.

I have turned blackwood with no problems at all.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Blackwood is kind of a generic name for a few different species, most of which are really really dense and really oily. So I think there's a potential for the pipe to be very heavy at any given size and to exude a bit when smoked.

But I think the basic reason not to make pipes out of most other woods is that they just aren't as capable as briar in terms of heat resistance and wet/dry cycling. When I make a pipe out of briar, I know it is worth my time, so to speak. I don't want a bunch of cracked or loose-tenoned pipes floating around with my name on 'em.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Thanks for the replies. I guess I am lucky there have been no allergic reactions with alternative materials. I also understand and agree with Sas, but right now I have no name to put out. I'm just having fun. Who knows, it might help me later on when somebody has questions about alt. materials.

I will admit that the Blackwood isn't as exciting as briar. I still get excited when I find small patches of descent grain in my briar.

Kiel
Charl

Post by Charl »

There's no problem with smoking a pipe made from African Blackwood. I have made and smoked a fair couple. The wood is very very dense (see the problem coming?), very very heavy and oily, like Sas said. Drop it and there won't be a ding or a scratch. It will crack eventually with use, however. At least with briar, you can be fairly sure that the pipe should last a lifetime (or 2) if taken care of.
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Charl wrote:There's no problem with smoking a pipe made from African Blackwood. I have made and smoked a fair couple. The wood is very very dense (see the problem coming?), very very heavy and oily, like Sas said. Drop it and there won't be a ding or a scratch. It will crack eventually with use, however. At least with briar, you can be fairly sure that the pipe should last a lifetime (or 2) if taken care of.
Thanks Charl! I was actually waiting to hear from you on this thread. Although I haven't finished the pipe, I took it out for a test run today. Other than been on the heavy side, it did quite well! And I'm still alive! :thumbsup:

Kiel
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

I'm pretty sure Meathod makes a lot of his bowls out of African Blackwood, presumably without issue.
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods