A brief procedure on the use of delrin tenons

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Re: A brief procedure on the use of delrin tenons

Post by Tyler »

PremalChheda wrote:I have been using the score and epoxy method to attach the delrin tenon to the stem, but I have recently viewed another pipemaker that is threading the connection. He still uses a little epoxy just in case, but it is really a good tight fit and will have little to no chance of popping out. Even if it comes out from turning counter clockwise, it can be put right back in by twisting clockwise.
Interesting. Was he just using a tap and die?
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Tyler wrote:
PremalChheda wrote:I have been using the score and epoxy method to attach the delrin tenon to the stem, but I have recently viewed another pipemaker that is threading the connection. He still uses a little epoxy just in case, but it is really a good tight fit and will have little to no chance of popping out. Even if it comes out from turning counter clockwise, it can be put right back in by twisting clockwise.
Mark Tinsky does this on pipe repairs (replacement tenons). He uses a tap and die and then screws the tenon into the stem adding a drop or two of super glue as he screws it in.

Rad
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

Tyler wrote:
Yes, just a simple tap and die. I have not started threading the connection, but it seems logical to do it for the better mechanical fit. It may take just a little longer than score and glue, but the few extra minutes are worth it to me.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

I finally have the process down to thread the delrin tenon and rod stock. It is almost as fast as scoring and if done in batches, about the same amount of time. You do not need any special tools besides a special sized tap a little smaller than 5/16" if you are using 5/16" delrin, which you can get at a number of places, and a matching dye. The tapping of the rod stock can be done by hand with the rod chucked and the tap in the tailstock. The threading of the delrin can be done by chucking the tap in headstock and the delrin in the drill chuck.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I'm gonna have to give this a try. I have to make a trip to Woodcraft this weekend anyway, I'll add a tap and dye to the list.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
themanredbeard

Post by themanredbeard »

I know I'm a bit late to this party, but just want ed to say thanks. This was the exact answer to questions I had rolling around my head.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Tyler wrote:
I've been threading ever since I started using Delrin. If you bugger the threads both internally and externally it gives the epoxy some places to go besides the thread channel and makes a mechanical lock. Tim West sells a variety of threaded tenons tho it is not hard to make your own.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Premal, I'm going to use your way seems the best way to do it.When I had only a wood lathe I would chase threads with a special chisel that took a very long time to learn.1x16 and 1x8 . for boxes, etc.
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

hmmm...does one want a tapered tap, a bottoming tap or a plug tap? does it matter? seems like bottoming tap....
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

seamonster wrote:hmmm...does one want a tapered tap, a bottoming tap or a plug tap? does it matter? seems like bottoming tap....
I start the thread with a plug tap since it is easier to get it going then chase it with a bottoming tap that I've ground the end off of to REALLY make it a bottoming tap. Be careful, when you feel it get tight, STOP so you don't strip it.
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

oklahoma red wrote:
seamonster wrote:hmmm...does one want a tapered tap, a bottoming tap or a plug tap? does it matter? seems like bottoming tap....
I start the thread with a plug tap since it is easier to get it going then chase it with a bottoming tap that I've ground the end off of to REALLY make it a bottoming tap. Be careful, when you feel it get tight, STOP so you don't strip it.
makes sense! thanks for the tip.
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
CIIIgems

Post by CIIIgems »

Great thread! Thank for all the entries. :)
brownleafbeardsman

Post by brownleafbeardsman »

I know this was along time ago, but thank you so much, Kurt. I've been having troubles with getting a perfect tenon on my wood lathe. It's gotten lot better since getting two tenon turning tools, and keeping them each set a a particular size. But, I tried this and followed your process to a tee, and it came out flawlessly. Thanks!