Stem work video

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Bluesytone

Stem work video

Post by Bluesytone »

I found a great video of Ascorti doing stem work here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1KkzA6Ws44 and learned about 373 things including how much the right tool for the job can mean for success.

Anyone got ideas on putting together a small vice like they are using to hold the stems on the work table?
my mouth is the marketing department for the circus in my head
RickB

Re: Stem work video

Post by RickB »

Very cool, I'll check that out for sure. I semi-hate stem work, but I'm pretty sure that's mostly because I'm bad at it :lol:
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Stem work is quite enjoyable as soon as you get over the fear of messing up. No one ever thinks twice about a fatal flaw or shaping error meaning you have to pitch the block and start over. But give someone a piece of rodstock and tell them to make a stem and they totally spaz about messing it up and having to start over.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
RickB

Post by RickB »

scotties22 wrote:But give someone a piece of rodstock and tell them to make a stem and they totally spaz about messing it up and having to start over.
Which is me 100% and it's stupid because it's relatively a much cheaper piece to restart. I've finished 10 stems at this point and have 3 in progress- I've had to throw in the towel on exactly one because I broke my damn long 1/16" bit off in it and couldn't get it out without ruining the stem, so now I've got a pipe cleaner handle for when I do staining.

The thing is, I'm yet to sand into an airway (knock wood) and seem to not really be struggling with getting the bit down to 3.8mm and pretty even at this point (I did sand into my delrin once, but that was going to be a shop pipe anyway - lesson learned). I'm more just doing stupid shit like not getting spots sanded well enough (which I never notice until after buffing and notice it while smoking it in the sun), not shaping things well, and not getting my crease to shine like mad (sorry George). I know that my lathe tools are not ground well because of the finish they leave, and I know that I need to force myself to go even more slowly and study good stems more... hopefully that and more practice will get them less embarrassing.
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

That video is very specialized machine heavy, but interesting to watch. I always wonder about how much it costs to have some of those machines made.
I was also astounded when the maker drilled the draft hole in the rod. When he chucked in the bit, I expected him to affix that chuck to some sort of tailstock, and about spit out my coffee when he casually hand held the thing. Reminded me of the video of Rainier Barbi drilling his stummel.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy