Crap...

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
JMG

Crap...

Post by JMG »

This is only my fifth hand cut stem. For most of you I'm sure it would be a piece of cake, but it was my toughest one yet. Saddle, tapered, and oval. I was pretty pleased with how it was coming out until I realized I had been filing the top and bottom unevenly. The bottom looked too thin so I did a small "bite test" and it snapped. Crap. So now I get to make a new one. Just airing frustration.

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
kamkiel

Re: Crap...

Post by kamkiel »

Hate when that happens
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Done that before. More often than I'd like to admit! Try George's method of thin tape around the slot down the sides of the stem and then file a few strokes and look at where the slot is in relation to your sides.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I stop frequently and look at the stem from the side, aligning my eye with the slot, to determine my top/bottom thicknesses. If my slot is 1.5mm tall, I should be able to file to 4mm in perfect safety every time, and sand from there, shooting for.... 3.85 or whatever. I never sand into the slot. But I check probably a dozen times as I'm shaping and filing. Tapering the edge of the stem (or using a tape line reference) in line with the slot helps too, you can really see that things are flat and straight and doing what you want.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I've said this before a few times, but i scribe a line with an exact-o knife while the rod is in the chuck. I have a square tool stock in a quick change holder that is set to the centerline of the lathe minus the thickness of the knife blade. it takes about 3 seconds to drop the tool in the quick change, scribe left, right, and across the slot. The slot is always dead center in the rod that way. Then you have a semi permanent line to reference top and bottom while filing. when you're done its very easy to sand or scrape the remaining line away.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Not doing that will save time, money, and aggravation.

Hope this helps.

-- Rad's spirit
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
JMG

Post by JMG »

Attempt #2. Not perfect, but it's a stem...

Last edited by JMG on Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

LatakiaLover wrote:Not doing that will save time, money, and aggravation.

Hope this helps.

-- Rad's spirit
I wonder if Rad's related to the famous psychotherapist Bob Newhart...
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by Charl »

I do like Sas. A bit of sanding, filing or whatever, check with the eye. Bit more, check and so on, until you get where you want it to be.