Split Stems

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Rbraniganpipes

Split Stems

Post by Rbraniganpipes »

I was wondering if anyone could answer a question that I believe I already know the answer to, but would just like a few more experienced opinions.

I am looking at making my first split stem. I am going to turn a tenon on my ebonite, and then drill a hole in my other material of the same exact size as the tenon.

My question is this... and I'm assuming the answer is no, but here goes:

Do you make any marks in the ebonite tenon to help the glue adhere between the tenon and the other material? Similar to when you cut a delrin tenon and insert it into your ebonite stem material, or does it go in with just the glue, as smooth as you possibly can make it before the glue is applied.

I am guessing that any marks on the tenon would reveal themselves once you begin sanding to spit the stem.

Also any super glue suggestions for this, or will epoxy work fine?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
R.Branigan Pipes
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Re: Split Stems

Post by baweaverpipes »

Make the other material hole diameter larger than your tenon, then face off and use a delrin tenon. You could also make the other material, in the same fashion and shape the integral tenon up to your other material.
Super glue or epoxy, but 98.347% of the time I use super glue.
LatakiaLover

Re: Split Stems

Post by LatakiaLover »

Hey... Some years back I heard you tell Rad that you used super glue 98.346 of the time.

Now we'll never be sure when you're BS'ing us and when you're not.

:(
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.