Shank or stem for trim rings.

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
oklahoma red

Shank or stem for trim rings.

Post by oklahoma red »

Seeing Sas's picture on the "cutting the V-slot" thread made me wonder something in regards to "trim rings" if you will.
What is everyone's design criteria for either attaching the adornments to the shank or to the stem? Is it strictly aesthetic or mechanical, a combination of these factors or something entirely different?
In Sas's picture of his slot cutting tools it appears he has gone the stem-side route.
Any thoughts?
George: how does the ring location impact repairs?
sandahlpipe

Re: Shank or stem for trim rings.

Post by sandahlpipe »

I think the main difference is aesthetics. The only thing I've noticed is that different kinds of wood used as a shank extension without being stabilized beforehand will tend to pull away, so I now make sure there's two stabile materials for the shank face and the stem shoulder if I use an inlay.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

If the accent is going to be flush to the stem, I'll make it part of the stem. I like to think having the tenon running through it helps keep it in place. If it is a narrow ring that will stand proud of the shank/stem, I'll attach it to the shank face by drilling the hole in the ring 3/8" or so in diameter, then turning down the shank face using a pin gauge so that I am left with a briar sleeve whose outside diameter matches the inside diameter of the ring. I don't see why you couldn't attach the ring to the stem too, but for some reason that seems weird to me.
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by LatakiaLover »

oklahoma red wrote: George: how does the ring location impact repairs?
I don't cotton to none of that pussy bullshit no-how. Git that crap away from me! REAL pipes for REAL men don't need nunna that glittery nonsense.

I bet you buy yer tabacca from a special store, too.

This here country is doomed. Doomed, I say!
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

This coming from a man with brass ring in his lip and a bone in his nose! :fencing:

LatakiaLover wrote:
oklahoma red wrote: George: how does the ring location impact repairs?
I don't cotton to none of that pussy bullshit no-how. Git that crap away from me! REAL pipes for REAL men don't need nunna that glittery nonsense.

I bet you buy yer tabacca from a special store, too.

This here country is doomed. Doomed, I say!
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

I'll have you know that's gold, not brass, and what you call "bone" is elephant ivory. :evil:

Besides, that sorta shit makes me purtier and I like it, so shuttup.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

HA! Purty? My aching arse. You have a bag of catnip around your neck 'cuz that's the only way your cat will come near you.
And you wonder why they turned you away at the door of Crazy Olives last year at the Argosy. :takethat:
LatakiaLover wrote:I'll have you know that's gold, not brass, and what you call "bone" is elephant ivory. :evil:

Besides, that sorta shit makes me purtier and I like it, so shuttup.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

oklahoma red wrote:HA! Purty? My aching arse. You have a bag of catnip around your neck 'cuz that's the only way your cat will come near you.
And you wonder why they turned you away at the door of Crazy Olives last year at the Argosy.
Yew don't know nuthin bout purty.

My ears might be a bit large, but cept for that I got it all goin on.

Here's proof. (It's current too. Taken only an hour ago just to shut you up.):

oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

LatakiaLover wrote:
oklahoma red wrote:HA! Purty? My aching arse. You have a bag of catnip around your neck 'cuz that's the only way your cat will come near you.
And you wonder why they turned you away at the door of Crazy Olives last year at the Argosy.
Yew don't know nuthin bout purty.

My ears might be a bit large, but cept for that I got it all goin on.

Here's proof. (It's current too. Taken only an hour ago just to shut you up.):

Well, I must say that those laser skin treatments you've been taking have just worked wonders! You look MARVELOUS!!
But I guess I cannot be too tacky as I see you are smoking one of my "Sailor-Don" pipes. Although I'd caution you to go easy with the reamer as the walls appear to be getting a bit thin.
Charl

Post by Charl »

:lol: