stain influencing the stem fit

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Massis

stain influencing the stem fit

Post by Massis »

Something I've noticed over the last few pipes I've made.

So I've got the shank turned, mortise drilled and countersunk and the airway in place.
I've faced the shank and everything's looking supersmooth.

I move on to the stem, get a buttersmooth tenon, drill it and finish it up nicely and everything fits like a glove.

Then I move on to finishing, I sand the pipe up to 320 and put on my understain. I let it dry overnight, and lo and behold, there's light shining through between the shank and the stem face!
Apparently the shank face has soaked up stain and swollen unevenly, ruining my perfect fit.

Ofcourse I can reface, but then I remove my stain again, repeat ad infinitum until there's no more shank...
caskwith

Re: stain influencing the stem fit

Post by caskwith »

Are you staining the shank face? If so, don't, or if you do just use a cotton bud lightly dampened with the stain, you are probably making the face too wet.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Staining at a higher grit, such as 600 will allow moisture to evaporate more quickly.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Massis

Post by Massis »

sandahlpipe wrote:Staining at a higher grit, such as 600 will allow moisture to evaporate more quickly.
Although that sounds obvious at first, I quickly realised I don't sand my shank face after turning, as I've not mastered sanding it without ruining the stem fit...

@Chris: yes I stain the shank face, as otherwise it'll obviously remain blank, which I don't want. Tried to lightly stain it and quickly rub it off on the last pipe I'm doing, seems to do the trick.
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

I do what Chris explained with a Q-tip (it's a Q-tip Chris. get it right :wink: ) with just enough stain on it that a dab will transfer color, but not run.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Massis wrote: Although that sounds obvious at first, I quickly realised I don't sand my shank face after turning, as I've not mastered sanding it without ruining the stem fit...
If you sand the face of the shank before turning the width of the shank to its final dimension, you won't have to worry about rounding the flat face of the shank. Not sure if that's what you're referring to though.
Massis

Post by Massis »

e Markle wrote:
Massis wrote: Although that sounds obvious at first, I quickly realised I don't sand my shank face after turning, as I've not mastered sanding it without ruining the stem fit...
If you sand the face of the shank before turning the width of the shank to its final dimension, you won't have to worry about rounding the flat face of the shank. Not sure if that's what you're referring to though.
It's not so much the rounding that's a problem, just me getting the face out of axis with the mortise...