Tutorial for accent rings in stems.

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
DocAitch

Re: Tutorial for accent rings in stems.

Post by DocAitch »

I generally cut my integral tenons a 1/16" over, put the rings on with epoxy, use an ebonite ring as the last ring, and then cut my tenon to 5/16". I think the seam between the ebonite ring and the tenon is more invisible that way, since it is lost in the small radius between tenon and shank face.
Using your method, that is not a consideration, so I don't really think it would make a great deal of difference whether you have your rings in direct contact with the Delrin or not. You might like having that extra ring visible on the stem face, and perhaps the joint would look better, but I don't think there are significant mechanical advantages either way.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Rbraniganpipes wrote:Ok here is another question I had regarding accent rings.

Would it make more sense to cut say a 1/2 inch tenon on your initial piece of rod stock for your stem, then drill 1/2 inch holes in your accent materials and glue them onto the tenon. Then from there, face the entire thing down and drill your 5/8 hole for your delrin tenon?

Rather than as the stem tutorial suggested:

Cut each accent piece separately, glue them together, and then glue them to the rod stock, and drill the 5/8 hole through all of them to hold the delrin tenon?

Would it make more sense from a strength perspective to cut a temporary "tenon" and glue the accents onto it? This way, when you drill for your tenon, your are drilling your 5/8 hole through the ebonite rod rather than through different layers of material. Since your delrin rod would be glued in completely to the ebonite rod, rather than onto 3 or more separate pieces of accent material, would there be less of a chance of the entire accent ring pulling apart when someone pulls the stem out of the pipe?
This what I do, cut a tenon on the rod stock, stack rings and then face and drill for a tenon.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

caskwith wrote:
This what I do, cut a tenon on the rod stock, stack rings and then face and drill for a tenon.
YUP!