juma

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
PremalChheda

Re: juma

Post by PremalChheda »

clickklick wrote:Thanks for the link Scottie. After getting things in my shopping cart and making it to checkout, they don't ship to the US. Why is good stem material so hard to get? I have four chubby authors needing colorful 25mm stems and SEM wants 60$ for shipping!
Steve has a bunch of colored rod. Send him an email or FB message.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
clickklick

Post by clickklick »

His color swirls are only 22mm :(
Acting like a loon in the front yard, close to the road.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

clickklick wrote:Thanks for the link Scottie. After getting things in my shopping cart and making it to checkout, they don't ship to the US. Why is good stem material so hard to get? I have four chubby authors needing colorful 25mm stems and SEM wants 60$ for shipping!
If that's what you need and cumberland will work, get it from Steve. If not, there are quite a few guys here who are in Europe that I'm sure would help you out by having it sent to them and then sending it to you.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

And just a heads up.....Juma is amazingly hard to bend when it is that thick! I was going to use Carnelian on an author and changed my mind when I couldn't get it to bend. It was a nosewarmer, so that may have played into my problems...
www.ladybriar.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

PremalChheda wrote:
W.Pastuch wrote:
scotties22 wrote: Nate and Premal said you can't use alcohol on the white (ivory) or carnelian because they dissolve.
That sucks!! I've used the ivory grained Juma for decorations and I've considered making a stem out of it, but if what you guys say is true that would make it unusable for stems-I know most guys will be cleaning the stem with alcohol and I don't want the stem dissolving from the inside because of an alcohol soaked pipe cleaner.
I think the ivory grained Juma is one of the best synthetic ivory substitutes on the market- it has an interesting and irregular pattern and doesn't look cold white like some of the ivory polyester that I've tried.
I have about half a rod of black Juma but I'm not a fan of it as far as a mouthpiece material, not black enough and a bit too soft for a thin bite zone maybe (but that could be just my personal impression of it, I haven't tested it's hardness :wink: :wink: )
I have not tested the white solid juma. Only the snake pattern colors, carnelian, and black. The black is fine. The snake pattern and carnelian will separate with alcohol. I am assuming the solid ivory should be fine like the black. I have not tested it yet.
I should have corrected that after I typed it. You are correct.
www.ladybriar.com
clickklick

Post by clickklick »

Off to Steve I go! I'll have to settle for the colors he has in 25mm. I'll deal. Changes my plan a bit.

Scottie, Thanks for the heads up on the thick juma. I have a rad davis that I commissioned made with a Juma stem and absolutely love it. So that is where my interest in the material comes from. Although it does seem more dull/matte than a high gloss ebonite.
Acting like a loon in the front yard, close to the road.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

clickklick wrote:Off to Steve I go! I'll have to settle for the colors he has in 25mm. I'll deal. Changes my plan a bit.

Scottie, Thanks for the heads up on the thick juma. I have a rad davis that I commissioned made with a Juma stem and absolutely love it. So that is where my interest in the material comes from. Although it does seem more dull/matte than a high gloss ebonite.
It's great and I actually use it quite a bit. It bends fairly easily as long as it's not super thick. You have to wet sand to a higher grit to really make it shine, but it is possible to make it just as shiny as ebonite.
www.ladybriar.com