Bamboo Shank Extension Questions

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Rbraniganpipes

Bamboo Shank Extension Questions

Post by Rbraniganpipes »

I have wanted to try my hand at creating a pipe with a bamboo shank extension. I have some mini blocks that I have thought about shaping and adding bamboo shanks to.
I would be attempting to do a reverse tenon for the stem. Also, Ill be attempting the entire process of facing the bamboo and shank of the pipe on a wood lathe, which I've already anticipated should be relatively difficult to do. Hopefully not impossible.

I have searched throughout the archives, and have not been able to find the answers that I was looking for, so if you all might be willing to impart any knowledge to me, I would greatly appreciate it. I don't mind the TIAFIO method for a lot of the process, but financially at this time, I cant afford to spend a ton of money on different glues and materials just to discard them. So any gluing advice would greatly be appreciated.

My first question is when gluing the stainless tenon into the bamboo, what type of glue do you use? Will the epoxy I use for my delrin tenons work, or have you found that there is another glue that works better with the bamboo and the stainless?

I planned on cutting grooves into the tenon so that the glue has somewhere to adhere to. Does the same need to be done inside the bamboo, or does its porous nature prevent you from needing to do that?

Do you normally glue the tenon into the mortise of the pipe, so that you have a tight fitting and non removable bamboo shank extension, or is it personal preference as to whether you leave the extension so that it can be removable? I would assume that if you are matching the shank to the bamboo, you would want to glue it in so that it doesn't move.

Do the briar and stainless tubing ever have any fitting issues? When using delrin tenons on my pipes, they fit snug. Would it be smarter to drill the shank of the pipe out and insert a delrin sleeve, and then drill it to the diameter of the stainless tubing? Would that produce a more secure stem fit?

I'll probably think of more questions, but this is a start for now. I just find these bamboo shanks to be so interesting, and I've always wanted to create a pipe with one.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
R.Branigan Pipes
scotties22

Re: Bamboo Shank Extension Questions

Post by scotties22 »

You can use the same epoxy you use for Delrin for the stainless.

You don't need to cut grooves into the stainless...just give it a scratch with a flat file to rough up the surface a bit.

I permanently glue everything together. And I always do a reverse tenon on bamboo pipes. It's mostly because I work with reverse tenons on a daily basis and am comfortable with the process.

As far as facing the bamboo on a wood lathe: Get yourself a set of pin guages. You put your drill chuck in the headstock, put the pin guage in and put the bamboo on. Face the side closest to the headstock. Flip the bamboo and repeat. If you can't afford pin guages (got mine on sale for about $35 from MSC...I think) you can put a piece of hardwood dowel in your stem chuck and turn it down until it fits the bamboo.

If you are using 3/8" OD stainless go to Lowe's and get the Dewalt split point 3/8" bit to drill the mortise in the stem with.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Rbraniganpipes

Post by Rbraniganpipes »

Rbraniganpipes wrote:If you are using 3/8" OD stainless go to Lowe's and get the Dewalt split point 3/8" bit to drill the mortise in the stem with.
Scottie,

Thank you so much for all of the advice. I greatly appreciate your willingness to share your technique. I feel a lot better about attempting this now, knowing that I was overthinking the whole process. I imagine that getting the faces to fit flush might be difficult to do on the wood lathe, but I am up for the challenge. I will be buying a set of pin gauges as well. I have needed an excuse to do that for some time now.

As far as OD stainless goes, I was going to order the 3/16 that Steve has on his website. Do you have a supplier you use for 3/8 OD? And is there a reason you might prefer to use 3/8 over 3/16? Or is it just the fact that the larger diameter seems to make for a stronger fit.
R.Branigan Pipes
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Sorry...I meant 3/16"!!!! And I get mine from Steve....20 feet at a time, lol
www.ladybriar.com
Rbraniganpipes

Post by Rbraniganpipes »

When buying a set of pin gauges, what length of pin gauge should I look for?
R.Branigan Pipes
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I have 2 sets. Both are 2" long pins. One set goes from .061" - .250" and the other from .251" - .500"
www.ladybriar.com
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I don’t use reverse tenons on bamboo. Instead, I stabilize the inside of the bamboo, or I put a briar insert into the bamboo mortise for a snug fit. A dot of superglue works to hold the bamboo to the stummel while you fit it, then you can break it to remove the bamboo for staining. Superglue is adequate for bamboo and stainless. Epoxy will do the trick as well. I’ve used both.

Pin gages are a must to get a proper face on the bamboo. I got both of my sets off eBay. The .061-.250 is enough for bamboo work. I use the .251-.500 for non-bamboo stummels and inlay work. A wood lathe will do just fine, as long as your tools are sharp.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Rbraniganpipes

Post by Rbraniganpipes »

Thanks for the specs Scottie.

I ordered both sets of pin gauges. The cheapest cost wise that I could find were from HFS off of Amazon. Didn't get as good of a deal as everyone else, but got both sets for $140.

Jeremiah,

First I would like to say congratulations to you and your wife! And secondly, thank you for taking the time to get back on the forum and check postings after such an eventful last few days.

I watched a video last night where Grant Batson did some tutorials of how he makes bamboo shank extensions, and he also did the briar insert. I am going to try it both ways, and see what works best for me. Cutting an insert on your metal lathe is way easier than on my wood lathe, but it doesn't mean that it cant be done. I am still in the market for a metal lathe, and will buy the PM I have been drooling over as soon as the funding is available. Wedding and honeymoon ate up most of it. But as they all say, Happy wife, happy life!
R.Branigan Pipes