Nording: Finish or not to finish?

General pipe discussion
PipeDreamr

Nording: Finish or not to finish?

Post by PipeDreamr »

Hello all, just wanted run a question past you all. A few months ago I picked up a Nording Signature Smooth unfinished freehand. I have come to the conclusion that unfinished pipes are not my taste.

So, here is my question.

Would it be wrong If i completed the sanding and finished it myself?

It looks like they stopped at 220 on the wheel. I love the pipe, its a great smoker.

Damien
Ocelot55

Re: Nording: Finish or not to finish?

Post by Ocelot55 »

Dude, it's your pipe. Do whatever you want to it. Shouldn't be hard to finish it.
PipeDreamr

Post by PipeDreamr »

I figured that would be the answer I got. Just wanted to be sure I didnt do anything considered bad form or disrespectful towards Erik, or any other pipemaker for that matter. I am a pipemaking "Grom." My first complete pipe will be done this week. Ill be posting photos of the Nording too.

Thanks for the reply,
Damien
Leus

Post by Leus »

Nah, the dude deserves it for selling unfinished stuff! :lol:
Growley

Post by Growley »

I agree with the fact that it's your pipe and you should do what you want with it. I'll add a few thoughts though.

I've got a Ben Wade freehand that is fairly old and "may" someday be worth something. I never smoke the pipe anymore because it gurgles something fierce. I know I could go in there and fix it and make it smoke well, but for some reason I can't bring myself to do it. I kind of have the opinion that, it was built that way and that's the way it should stay. It's kind of a record in history to how Ben Wade made pipes, and I guess I don't want to taint the record by making it better.

Now, if this were the only pipe I had, I'd make it as good of a smoker as I could, even if I had to replace the stem. But, I've got plenty of other pipes that smoke well, so I don't "need" this pipe.

On the other hand, that's all heady nonsense and I should probably just open it up and smoke it! :D

If you think you'll ever be interested in the resale value of your pipe way down the road, leave it alone. If not stain that sucker.
Leus

Post by Leus »

Somehow I don't think Ben Wades are going to bounce back to the crazy prices they were somewhere around 2000, so I won't worry much about value.

And I think we have established here about pipes being functional objects, dammit! :takethat:
Growley

Post by Growley »

Leus wrote:Somehow I don't think Ben Wades are going to bounce back to the crazy prices they were somewhere around 2000, so I won't worry much about value.
Well...there goes my kid's college fund I guess.
MonsieurLabo

Post by MonsieurLabo »

I have a Nording unfinished freehand and it will darken nicely on its own. I have been smoking mine for about 10 years. Good pipe. But yeah, stain it if you want. The grain pattern probably isn't high grade though.
Michael Labo