Billiard with Stylized 'R' Symbol

General pipe discussion
McKay

Billiard with Stylized 'R' Symbol

Post by McKay »

I just purchased a pipe on eBay because I found it attractive, and needed an example of a billiard to try to emulate (within my budget). Anyway, I'd like to know if anyone has seen this 'R' symbol, with the smoking pipe pointing to the left. I'll attach an image or two for example.
I tried pipephil, and didn't see this symbol in the 'R' section.

These are large images, so I made them links instead of including them inline:
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/QUALITY-STURDY-S ... ~60_57.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/QUALITY-STURDY-S ... ~60_57.JPG

It seems to have a big crack forming across the bowl, but I have other pipes to smoke, and plan to make more, so I'll just have this one to look at.

P.S. Does this one have too much cant for a standard billiard? I'm going to try my best to get it right when I finally do get all my tools together.

Thanks in advance.

McKay
DMI

Re: Billiard with Stylized 'R' Symbol

Post by DMI »

A quick look at pipehil under pipe logo points to this being a huntingdon.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I apologize for the hijack, but I have to tell:

McKay, I haven't seen any of your posts before, and correspondingly hadn't seen your user name. Well, as it turns out, I have a daughter named McKay, same spelling and everything. I saw your username, and clicked on this thread fully expecting to have to ban who I figured was my jr. high daughter messing around with dear old dad's favorite forum.

:lol: :lol:

I'm glad that's not true,and despite the fact you posted some in November, let me welcome you. Nice name.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

That is an S&R pipe made by Stephen and Roswitha Anderson. They are American carvers. A little mom and pop place. Very affordable handmade pipes.
McKay

Post by McKay »

Ocelott: I'm glad to know that the pipe was both mom/pop made and American-made. I may seek them out and purchase from them directly next time.

Tyler: I assure you that I am not your daughter. :) I am actually an "IV", named after my dad and such, and it was only when my cousin named her daughter after my dad also that I started noticing that its use as a given name spanned genders. From what I have gathered, one of my great-great etc. relatives was friends with the original inventor of the clipper ship, and so named their son after him. So while it is a surname for many, it is technically my middle name, but I answer to it more readily than to my first.
Oh, and I introduced myself a while ago, but haven't had much of substance to contribute since, so I had gone back to reading until recently.

DMI: Thank you for taking a second look, but that logo looks a little simpler, and is on the stem instead of the briar. I'm going to go with S&R as the identity on this one. They don't seem to be on pipephil.

As soon as I can put together a reasonable facsimile of a smoking pipe, I'll re-emerge for criticism. Until then, I'll resume my "lurking" newbie position.

Thanks all.

McKay