Pipe Lighting Implements

General pipe discussion

What do you regularly use to light your pipe?

Good ol' fashioned matches
33%
Cheap Bic type lighter
21%
Zippo type lighter
7%
Dedicated pipe lighter
35%
Torch shape lighter
No votes
Permanent metal match
2%
The fiery breath of my wife
2%

Total votes: 43

UncleDraken

Re: Pipe Lighting Implements

Post by UncleDraken »

WCannoy wrote:
UncleDraken wrote: Found this forum post somewhere else by what looks like Walt (or at least someone who uses his profile picture!)
http://christianpipesmokers.net/modules ... ic&t=25238
Not me! His picture is Gandalf... Mine is Gandalf knitting!

Ah. You can see where I got confused ;)
Brent

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

That's some great advice there. I'll remember to get the low odour and let the flame burn.
One thing I was wondering about though is how easy it is to relight a bowl that's near the end of it's life with the pipe insert on a Zippo? I'm talking about when the pipe goes out after smoking a while and now there's a larger than normal gap between the top of the bowl and the tobacco lying at the bottom of the bowl? Can you still draw the flame that far down? With a match you can still angle it in there if you see what I mean. I hope that makes sense!
That's not a problem. I actually use a plain old zippo most of the time, as I often smoke outside. Only difference is you have to tilt the pipe to one side.
UncleDraken

Post by UncleDraken »

Alan L wrote:
That's not a problem. I actually use a plain old zippo most of the time, as I often smoke outside. Only difference is you have to tilt the pipe to one side.
Ah that's good to know! Thanks :)
Brent

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

UncleDraken wrote:
wisemanpipes wrote:if your in the market for a lifelong lighter get the im corona or a zippo with thunderbird butane insert. i get the bic lighters because i constantly am loosing tampers and lighters. and id be SOL if i lost a $120 lighter. just my thoughts and what works for me.
Thanks for that, I hadn't heard of it. Found this forum post somewhere else by what looks like Walt (or at least someone who uses his profile picture!) and the consensus there seems to be that the butane insert starts off well but then in a year or two starts losing pressure. I would have assumed that would mean it's time for a new one anyway but maybe I'm not understanding how the system works because they seem to be expecting it to last longer... :S

http://christianpipesmokers.net/modules ... ic&t=25238
had no idea about the thunderbird insets. always heard good thing but yes that would really suck if it lost pressure. get an im corona call it a day lol. get the shitty plastic pipe lighters they sell in stores for like 5 bucks. they work great for me too just dont last as long and your not as cool. 8) 8)
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

I used to sell lighters in a pipe and tobacco shop in Pittsburgh (like that means a lot), and Colibri were usually the highest cost and biggest pieces of shit in the store.

Surprisingly, my mom bought me a Colibri a few Christmases ago and it's still going strong. It's one of the cheaper ones with the 90 deg flame. It's awesome, and I normally don't refer to Colibris as awesome.

When I buy another pipe lighter, it'll be an Old Boy for sure.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard