Amphora pipes; suuggestions?

General pipe discussion
Dixie_piper

Amphora pipes; suuggestions?

Post by Dixie_piper »

Just looking for opinions on the Amphora Xtra pipes, can't get a clear opinion searching online. I know they're from Holland and often grouped with Big Ben's, and some rate them above Dr. Grabow. Being new to pipes that leaves a big "quality range" to decipher with my feeble mind.
With the estates being fairly cheap, would it be a decent idea, from a monetary standpoint, to try gathering some up for restoration and resale?
Again, just looking for opinions on these pipes because they seem to be "far n few between," so I'm unsure of their worth when restored.
Thanks in advance!
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
DMI

Re: Amphora pipes; suuggestions?

Post by DMI »

Any pipe is worth what someone will pay for it and there is no logic to it.

I regularly list pipes that I expect to make £30-40 only for them to go at the starting price of £9.99, one thing I do know is that as a UK seller American brands are not worth the trouble of restoring. As a friend of mine once said 'we've enough of our own'. Having said that old (pre 1950) American pipes have a nostalgic appeal, early KBB pipes in particular, if you can identify the pipe as European you might get a better price for it, but then you might not.

Take some time looking on ebay to judge what pipes go for, just remember that because you have cleaned and polished the pipe does not mean you will get a better price for it, I know I don't and it really p****s me off some times.

Just think about what you are learning from the pipes.
Dixie_piper

Re: Amphora pipes; suuggestions?

Post by Dixie_piper »

Thanks David.
I've been roaming around ebay right regualarly as of late, finding some deals and finding some fools.
I'm also learning that it's a good idea to read the "fine print," because several sellers have no clue about the pipes they're selling.
I've tried searcing for the estate lots for sale rather than auction, but those are few and far between. Found a few, but they're already restored.
Thanks again for the advice and all the help!
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)