Anyone build in filters?

General pipe discussion
Kada

Anyone build in filters?

Post by Kada »

I am not too sure how well this would go over with you folks, but i have made a few experimental pipes with wood stems than undo. inside the stem i drill about 3/4" deep bigger hole to fit those bulk ziz zag type cigarette filters into.

Now i am no tobacco connaisseur, so i am not too knowledgable with tastes and qualities and all that jazz. But it seems many of you are, so what do you think about having filters in the stems? the mouth piece/bowl are unchanged. only the stem, cloer to the mouth, has a slightly larger drilled bit.
Sasquatch

Re: Anyone build in filters?

Post by Sasquatch »

I will build a pipe that takes pipe filters, the 6mm charcoal units, if asked. I find them unnecessary, but if someone prefers a filtered pipe, I incorporate it.

This one took a filter, for example.

ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
m.c.

Post by m.c. »

I made such a stem on a corncob, with filter (some loose sponge to be exact) inserted close to the bit. It does make the smoke milder and drier, but not necessarily cooler. Free and easy air flow is impossible with such an addition, as a result fire goes out more often or you have to draw more frequently to keep it lit, which paradoxically ends in a hotter smoke than without a filter.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

I carve many 9mm pipes that will take an adaptor and become then, a standard. Of course I still make standard pipes. With all the variables in pipe tobacco today, I find giving smokers choices in how they smoke to be important. A good filter pipe has the ability to smooth out harshness and moisture in many cases. Saved tobacco. Over 53 years ago when I started smoking a pipe, I found that the pipe often picked the tobacco, or consequences were had. My first hand made high end pipe, a filtered nording headed for the German market found its' way to me. That opened my eyes. Today I still smoke both, however all my standards are dedicated pipes. I can get away with a lot with a good well made 9mm, consequently have a larger base of smoking pleasures. A well made filter pipe has a good draw and smokes cool, I think the stigma came in the u.s.a. with all the poor quality 6mms that flooded the market. I have tried them and for me, they are unsuitable. With the 9mms I can uses paper, carbon, meerschaum, balsa, which is more adsorption, and skip harshness, steam, tongue burn with the aromatics, and other nuisances. They are good also for starting new smokers on till they develop correct techniques. I look at them as just another way to enjoy one of the best gifts to man, The magic of the Briar Pipe. :thumbsup:
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Filters in pipes are an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem.

There's no law that says humans must be rational, though, so some small number of them (mostly in Germany) refuse to smoke any other kind. Reason unknown.

if you're a pipe maker who doesn't mind doing silly things in general, and can incorporate the bulk of a filter in your design without clunking things up visually in particular... and someone comes along waving money at you who says they will only spend it on a filter pipe? Sure, make 'em one. I've converted (and "un-converted") too many to count. Why not? All they're accomplishing is to reduce the value of the pipe somewhat in the estate market, but it's their property and what they do with it is their business.

I'd definitely make sure you're covered somehow in a commission situation if the buyer backed out, though. You could be left holding it for quite a while, otherwise.

Forward to 2065 Chicago Show:

Sasquatch: "Scottie, you been luggin' that half-bent author-y sandblast around since Josephine was a baby... you think it will ever sell?"

Scottie: "Yeah, I rekon'. Tomorrow. Yeah, that's it... it'll sell tomorrow. There's this guy been eyeballin' it for the last fifteen years. I think he's finally gonna do it"
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

I have admired you till now, There are problems. One is your mind is closed. individuals make their own decisions. :o
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Kada, make what you want to make, never let anyone tell you what to make. Not the American way. A mentor is a guide to help you along the way. The rest is pissing up a rope.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

pipedreamer wrote:I have admired you till now, There are problems. One is your mind is closed. individuals make their own decisions.
Um... Kada asked a question:
Kada wrote:...so what do you think about having filters in the stems?
...and I answered it, as best my experience allowed.

It seems like the Internet must be new to you. Or something.

The whole point of boards like this is so people can gather knowledge from far and wide. (Ironically, so they can make decisions). If "admiring" someone requires their agreeing with you, you're in for a disappointing time, I'm afraid.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

I love how you color your point. Give them the information that's factual. Filters remain to solve problems some have that are real. It isn't a club. That's why they remain. You don' have to be German to appreciate a persons relief to find that a proper filter will let him enjoy a pipe. Everyone can not develop the tongue to smoke a standard pipe. Your crack about me and the internet is much appreciated by myself and many others. I remain aware of the area in which you are an expert.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

pipedreamer wrote:I love how you color your point. Give them the information that's factual. Filters remain to solve problems some have that are real. It isn't a club. That's why they remain. You don' have to be German to appreciate a persons relief to find that a proper filter will let him enjoy a pipe. Everyone can not develop the tongue to smoke a standard pipe. Your crack about me and the internet is much appreciated by myself and many others. I remain aware of the area in which you are an expert.

You spoke exclusively of your personal experience. I described my experience as well as summarized what the (virtual) entirety of the smoking world concluded after a half century of test driving filters.

It's clear that you think the (virtual) entirety of the smoking world got it wrong, but there isn't much I can do about that.

As for the Internet reference, I wasn't joking. If you get easily offended or feel attacked when someone disagrees with you or offers countering evidence, you're definitely going to have a hard time.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

You know I never said that, Shame on you.
I stated quite clearly I smoke both and make both.I'm done talking to you thats more than color. :banghead:
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

pipedreamer wrote:You know I never said that, Shame on you.
I stated quite clearly I smoke both and make both.I'm done talking to you thats more than color. :banghead:
This is getting truly bizarre.

Is English your first language? Maybe there's some sort of translation thing happening that I'm unaware of.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Yes, you don't understand I answered his questioned also. I am very disappointed in you .
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

pipedreamer wrote:Yes, you don't understand I answered his questioned also. I am very disappointed in you .
OK, Rad. Or Tyler. Or somebody...

BAW?

Ah! Oklahoma Red! That's it. You devil. :lol: You got me good.